We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

We visited this restaurant in September 2010 (based on good review in Lonely Planet) for lunch and sat out in the courtyard. The decor and ambiance was very good.

My wife ordered artichoke for starters.

She found the vegetable very tough and unpleasant. She could not continue to eat it and sent it back with her reasons.

The chef immediately stormed out of the kitchen and started to shout, very angrily, at my poor wife.

He shouted that my wife simply didn't know how to eat artichoke properly. I would disagree. Fortunately my wife kept her cool.

This is the first time in my life that I have experienced a chef abusing his customer.

I found it quite outrageous and the poor waitresses (very nice and professional) were mortified and apologized to us profusely.

My main course of beef was pathetic. Very dry and overcooked. By this time we just wanted to leave.

We were charged for the uneaten artichoke and the bill for 2 came to Euro 125. We gave a good tip.

So, I see good reviews here but we cannot recommend this restaurant.- unless you enjoy a good fight at lunch.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

At the very point of the so called Chef going on his rant, i would have very calmly waited for him to move on, and then would have informed the wait staff, or restaurant manager if available, that I would not be willing to pay for food that I had not eaten.

Unbelievable.....

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

You gave a tip??????????????????

As previous poster said, I would have walked ASAP.

Edited: 09 September 2010, 07:41
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

Sorry to hear that! Really bad behaviour of this guy. I can't belive you gave a tip?

About the artichoke, I was curious, did she actually eat it properly? Because you basically have to scrape the soft stuff of the leaf with your teeth. If you try to eat the whole leaf it will be to tough to eat.

The heart you can eat entirely of course.

I had dinner in this restaurant once and found it extremely tasty. I have heard before of french chefs various restaurants flipping out on americans who do not know how to eat things properly ;)

Edited: 09 September 2010, 08:35
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,523 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

I also can't believe you gave a tip given that a 15% service charge will have been included in the bill. However, the forum is not the place for restaurant reviews: once this "question" disappears off the front page, nobody interested in that restaurant will find your comments as they will be looking under "Restaurants", not the forum.

San Diego
Level Contributor
357 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

Iandnehagg,

We have been in Belgium for three weeks as part of a four month Eurpoean trip.

Without a doubt, the people in Belgium who deal with tourists are the rudest in Europe, especially the waiters.

As far as the tip, we understand that a service fee is included. However, that does not stop the waiters in Brussels from trying to intimidate you into leaving a tip.

Jim

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
400 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

Was she trying to eat the whole artichoke leaf? If so, it is tough and inedible...you have to scrape the "meat" off with your teeth as the other poster recommended. Only the heart can be eaten in its entirety.

I'm really sorry to hear about your experience there. I've dined there 5 times (tomorrow night will be my 6th) and it is honestly one of my favorite restaurants in Europe. I've had nothing but amazing experiences every time (both service and food) and am sorry you did not have the same experience.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,755 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

Seems odd that this is the first and only post of the topic-starter. And that he doesn't respond anymore.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,564 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

I am always distrusting of first time posters who come on here and complain.

Seattle area
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

...and apparently doesn't know how an artichoke is eaten...

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nightmare at Den Dyver restaurant

Hi

responding now!

The technique of eating food is irrelevant, surely.

A chef charging out of his kitchen to shout at a customer is not acceptable .

Maybe if he had politely explained that perhaps my wife had not eaten his food correctly I would not have posted...

Additionally, I did also mention that my main dish of beef was appalling. Overcooked and dry.

Despite nice serving staff and premises really disappointing.

Best Regards

Iain

Edited: 11 September 2010, 18:41
Get answers to your questions about Bruges
Recent Conversations