We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 24 hours long enough?!

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
is 24 hours long enough?!

I can't make up my mind whether to do one or two nights in Brugge. We'll be driving to Brugge on the way back from having 2 nights for xmas markets in Cologne, early december.

We'll probably arrive in Brugge around teatime and if only staying one night, will leave for the Eurotunnel early afternoon I should imagine. So, less than 24 hours really!

We like to wander the streets in the day and the evening. There will only be the two of us (wrong side of late 30's!!) Not into clubs or rowdy bars. Will we miss out if we only do 24 hours? Everything is so darn expensive, that if it only takes one day, then I've saved money!

Iowa
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

We were in Bruges in April for 24 hours and wished we had stayed 48 hours. I thought Bruges was best after 17:00 when all the crowds left on their buses and there weren't that many people on the streets. It's a really fun city to wander and there are too many people during the day to do it at a leisurely pace. But then again, 24 hours is better than none and you should definitely spend the night.

Edited: 19 October 2010, 06:21
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

Good afternoon,

If I understand correctly you will be arriving at around 3 or 4 pm and be gone the next day by 2 pm or so. For a first time visitor it's barely enough to visit the highlights. To really enjoy the city I would suggest 2 nights, or you could arrive earlier AND leave later.

Most museums close at 5 pm, shops close at 6 pm. They open at 9.30 or 10 am.

Must sees include:

* the Beguinage + Lake of Love

* the Church of Our Lady with statue of Michelangelo (only statue known to be outside of Italy)

* Market square with Belfry Tower

* Burg square with Basilica of the Holy Blood and Town Hall

* Jan van Eyck square (old trading part of town)

* Rozenhoedkaai, Huidenvettersplein and Fish Market

Some must do:

* boat tour = 30 minutes = € 6,90 p.p.

* climb Belfry Tower = at least 45 minutes = € 8,00

I hope this info proves to be useful.

Kind regards from Bruges,

Sabrina

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
52 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

Very useful, thankyou both. I'm sure I'd regret it if I only stayed over for one night. I think I've found a good deal in the Best western Navarra, which will help finances.

Anyway, I'll need two days just to prize myself away from the chocolate shops!

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

Haha, oe, that might be difficult since they are everywhere ;)

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

With a car, you might check out the Etap hotel group and see if they have a hotel near Bruges. It is a low-cost hotel group owned by the same people that own the Mercure and Ibis hotels. The Etap's are often in the suburbs or near freeways and are a decent quality for the price. I don't use them very often because they are often sited for the auto traveller and sometimes not easy to get to by public transport.

Check out www.accorhotels.com to see the locations and the prices. You might be able to save enough for a second night and to pay for parking near the rail station.

I stayed at an Etap in Cologne on my trip last September, as my favorite hotel in Cologne was booked out because of a convention. It was convenient to an S-bahn station and I would certainly stay there again.

Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
482 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

there is a brandnew 'ETAP' hotel in Bruges in the refurbished railwaystation. prices from €49.00 a night.

car park: €2.50/ 24 hours + free bus into the city center, altough

the city center is only 10 minutes walking.

have a nice stay.

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

Thanks, Dany, that's great information. If I ever get back to Bruges, that Etap would be the first place I'd look to stay.

8. Re: is 24 hours long enough?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 05:16