We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

Hi all

I am going to Bruges on Thursday. I have a very severe allergy to nuts of all types so I would like to be able to communicate this to the restaurant staff.

Do all people speak French (I can speak French!) or can someone tell me how to say it in Flamish?

Thanks

Simon

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

Ik ben allergisch aan noten

or

Ik heb een notenallergie

People in tourist places usually speak French, but in Flanders you are better off with English I would say.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
66 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

Thanks very much for your reply!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

You might be wise to show them the phrase in writing, in case it is not understood properly when you try to say it.

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
819 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

Hi Simon.

All of the places you are likely to end up the staff will have excellent English so stick with that, with perhaps a card as Colin suggests.

French will not help as the local language is Dutch.

5. Re: Flemish for 'I have an allergy to nuts'

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2011, 06:19