We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges to Ghent car or train?

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges to Ghent car or train?

About to go for out umpteenth trip to lovely beautiful Bruges. If we can tear ourselves away for one day we would like to visit Ghent. We'll have our car with us and could drive there, but would it be faster and easier to get the train?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

I guess it depends on exactly where in Ghent you were going, and how long it would take you to find parking, but it's only 30 minutes on InterCity trains (to which you have to add the tram from Gent St. Pieters Station to the centre, which is tram no. 1, direction - the opposite one to Flanders Expo, which is generally Evergem - get off at Korenmarkt for the city centre.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

Thanks qaminari. We'll be heading for the centre of Ghent - if parking could be difficult I think I would prefer to take the train.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

If you have a car with you, why not use it. Parking is not a problem, but in the center you need to pay a few euros per hour.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

In the centre it can be difficult (could be less of a problem around the Citadelpark, e.g. if you wanted to visit SMAK) or at least expensive; there are "park and ride" facilities but I don't know how much it costs. Anyway, by train it costs €11.80 return on a weekday and €6.80 return on a Saturday or Sunday, and it is probably easier than worrying about where to park.

The tram ticket costs €1.20 if you buy it from a machine (at the station there are several next to the tram stop) or, on your return, the booth at Korenmarkt; €2 if you buy it from the tram driver. In either case, you must then stamp the ticket in the machine on the tram. A day pass costs €5 (per person) from the machine or €6 from the tram driver, so this would not be worth it if you are only travelling into the centre, walking around the centre, and then going back to the station as you can do that for €2.40. But, you can also buy a 10-trip Lijnkaart, and use this between several people - as you may know having already been to Brugge. Indeed, as it is the same company that operates in all Flemish cities, if you will have already bought one in Brugge you can use it in Ghent (and in other Flemish cities, e.g. Antwerp, Kortrijk, Leuven, Mechelen, Oostende, ..). This costs €9 and since 1/2/11 cannot be bought on board a bus or tram but only in advance (machine or e.g. the De Lijn office outside Brugge station), reducing the price of each individual trip to €0.90. Whether you use single tickets or multi-trip card, each (first) stamping in the machine on board a De Lijn tram/bus makes it valid for 60 minutes travel, no matter how often you change bus/tram.

Mentioned in this post
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

There are quite a bit of parking garages in downtown gent and there is also some street parking which is more expensive than the garages.

But I doubt you will pay more for the parking than for 2 train tickets + tram tix.

Best parking garages for the center of Gent are, Vrijdagsmarkt, Sint Michiels, Reep and Ramen. Max cost per 24 hrs is 10 euro.

Less on Sundays. All those locations put you within walking distance to the historical center.

Mentioned in this post
Sint-Michiels
Sint-Michiels
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

Many thanks to you both for such a wealth of useful information. There are four of us going so I think I will provide all the facts and then put it to the vote.

All being well we should be arriving in Brugge at about this time tomorrow - can't wait!

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

With 4 people traveling, I would go for car if you are comfortable driving around in Belgian cities. With the money you save of car vs train you can have a nice coffee and pastry.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
173 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

Mmmmm Belgian pastries ... that's a very tempting suggestion pbuyse, but my husband will be doing the driving so I guess I'll have to let him have the final say.

9. Re: Bruges to Ghent car or train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 08:21