We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ghent Day Trip?

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
742 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Ghent Day Trip?

Hi All,

We are visitng Bruge at the end of June for 2 nights and have heard from my partners parents that Ghent is lovely too. Would love to do a day trip to Ghent from Bruge - does anybody know any companies that offer this?

I have done a quick Google search but could only really find day trips to Bruge and Ghent from Brussels!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

I don't know of any organised day trips from Brugge to Ghent, but it's only 30 minutes away by train. From Gent St. Pieters station you can take tram 1 to Korenmarkt, which is just one block away from where the boat trips start from. The Ghent tourist office is located in the basement of the nearby belfry, where you can get maps and advice on e.g. walking tours.

There are bus tours from Brugge to other places, e.g. to WWI sites around Ieper and to W. Flanders in general, but there is no mention of one to Ghent on here http://www.quasimodo.be/bustrips.htm - or on the Brugge tourist board's website, brugge.be/internet/…mini_bus.htm

If you want to consider organising your own tour with a private driver-guide, see e.g. beoglobe.com/p/guide-en-97-belgium-Ghent-Eng… or private-guides.com/guide-in-belgium/bmousny-…

Edited: 25 May 2011, 18:09
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
742 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

Thanks very much!

Have taken a look at the train and it seems the most reasonable option.

Thanks again

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

If you're only staying in Bruges 2 days, it would be a shame to spend one of them in Ghent. I didn't make it there myself - my husband and I chose to drop that day trip once we actually arrived in Bruges - but from what I've heard the town center is very quaint and lovely, but the rest of the town is not. Bruges is quaint and lovely everywhere! I would arrive in Bruges and see what you think first, and then decide if it's worth spending a day in Ghent. The great thing about trains is you can just decide last minute if you want to go or not :)

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

<<but from what I've heard the town center of Ghent is very quaint and lovely, but the rest of the town is not>>

If commenting Ghent: First hand experiences only please!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
31 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

We visited Ghent from Bruges for the day. it was an easy journey by train from the excellent rail station in Bruges. Ghent has a lovely old quay and some quaint wee streets but it is a much bigger city than Bruges and I found it busier with not quite so much to see and further to go to see it. If you are in Bruges for two days, you'll find loads to see there without having to journey anywhere else, in fact once you get to Bruges, you'll never want to leave, its the perfect city!!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
742 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

Thanks very much Archie

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

The St. Bavo Cathedral is quite a treat; it's like a museum downstairs, and it's free - you do have to pay to see the Adoration of the Mystic Lamb though. And Ghent must have the nicest policemen in the world (or at least the most tolerant). I drove down a pedestrian only street that was too narrow to turn around and I couldn't back up, so I just had to smile and apologize to the townfolk. The police stopped me with my German plates and I thought I was doomed for a ticket, but they just told me continue and take the first exit, even telling me guten tag.

Belgium
Level Contributor
11 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

Hi

the last link is my association of tour guides!( private-guides.com/guide-in-belgium/bmousny-…)

Ghent is actually very nice and picturesque, genuine and quaint.

The city really deserves a 1/2 day at least.

Train connections are quite good between Brussels, Ghent and Bruges

if you need any assistance please let me know!

Joyce

Edited: 02 May 2012, 00:05
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

Agree with the last post.. visit at least the historical centre, st bavo cathedral (don't forget the basement), the castle, the graslei and a nice pub or two....ghent is indeed bigger then Bruges, that's why it's not entirely historic over there, not all museum-like, not entirely touristic.....like New york is not only Manhattan, Like paris is not only Montmartre...

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,556 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Ghent Day Trip?

And unless you are really afraid of heights, a trip to the top of the Belfry should also be on the list, rest assured they have an elevator.