We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beach in Belgium?

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nice beach in Belgium?

I was thinking Bruges had a beach but I can't seem to find one.. Im also visiting Amsterdam and was wondering if theres a nice beach we could see for 1 day , either in bruges or amsterdam..

Also, what would the cheapest way to travel between Bruges and Brussels be? Car rental , bus , train ? Is Bruges worth the visit or should I just stay in Brussels for 1-2 days..

Thanks!! So confused, so many choices when visiting Europe....

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice beach in Belgium?

Hi

Bruges is 10 miles from the sea, so no beach.

You my have been thinking of Zeebrugge which is on the coast, it has a nice sandy beach, but is overshadowed by the very large industrial port.

The whole of the Belgian coast has a wide sandy beach so you can pick any of the towns. They do have their own characters. Knokke is very up market, whilst Blankenberge is more family orientated.

Rather than hire a car take a train from Bruges - you can get trains to Knokke and Blankenberge and they take less than 20 minutes.

Once you get to the coast there is a tram that runs the length of the Belgian coast so you can move between towns should you want to see more than one.

If you are only going from Amsterdam to Bruges for a beach, there are beaches much closer.

A reasonable resort is Zandvoort, it is about 15 miles from Amsterdam and you can get there by train via Haarlem.

Bruges is certainly worth a visit. It is a beautiful medieval city. Have a look through the other posts about the city on this website to give you a view.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,811 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice beach in Belgium?

There are plenty of beaches along the Belgian Coast.

Some of the easiest to reach from Brugge are at Knokke, Blankenberge or Oostende, each of which are only 15 minutes or so by train from Brugge.

My personal favourite is at De Haan. This is easily reached from Brugge by taking the train to either Oostende and Blankenberge and then the Coastal Tram (Kusttram) to the stop De Haan aan Zee.

In fact quite a number of the Coastal Tram stops are close to a beach. Some of the stops that are outside the main towns, such as Bredene Renbaan, are close to beaches that have facilities such as toilets, liefguards and a small kiosk selling drinks, but are less developed and crowded than those in the large towns.

Edited: 01 July 2011, 08:43
3. Re: Nice beach in Belgium?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 11:19