We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new museum info

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
new museum info

Hello,

In this post I'll be sharing some information on the Municipal Museums. If necessary you can reread it in my Trip Lists "First time in Bruges" and "Second time in Bruges".

SOUND FACTORY - new museum in 2011

In the Lantaarntoren / "Lantern tower" of the Concertbuilding a new municipal museum will officially open on 9 October 2011. It will be an interactive auditory museum where you can discover the sounds of Bruges, as well as enjoy the view over the city.

Practical information:

Opening hours: 9h30 - 17h00 (last tickets at 16h30) - closed on Mondays

Adult price will be 6 euro.

GROENINGE MUSEUM - temporary exhibition "Imperial Treasures"

A temporary exhibition will open on 5 October, the title is "Vorstelijk Verzameld" translated to English as "Imperial Treasures".

The Kunsthistorischer Museum in Vienna will kindly lend us 54 top pieces dating from the 15th and 16th century. The expo will feature paintings from among others: Jan van Eyck, Hugo van der Goest, Hans Memling, Gerard David, Michiel Sittow, Juan de Flandes, Jas Gossaert, Joos van Cleve, Joachim Patinir, Hieronymus Bosch and Pieter Bruegel.

Practical information:

* 5 October 2011 until 15 January 2011 - closed on 25/12/2011 and 01/01/2012

* Open from 9h30 till 17h00, closed on Mondays (till 16h00 on 24/12/2011 and 31/12/2011)

* adult price is 8 euro, last entrance for individuals at 16h30 (15h30 on 24/12/2011 and 31/12/2011)

The official website www.vorstelijk verzameld.be (remove the space) should be online at the end of September.

MIND: As of 6 September room 4 (Renaissance), 5 (17th century), 6 (neoclassical works), 7 (city and landscapes) and E (symbolism and impressionism) of the museum will close to prepare these rooms for the exhibition.

Contrary to what I have said earlier there will be no reduction rates during this period (September till opening expo in October). The Museum Department has decided that there are still enough works of the Flemish Primitives on display to justify the full rate of 8 euro per person.

After the expo the same rooms will be closed for at least a month, for the dismantling of the exhibition, painting and re-installation of the permanent collection. I have no information on prices in that period.

MEMLING MUSEUM - temporary exhibition "From barber-surgeons to plague saints. Being sick in Bruges during the 16th and 17th centuries"

The Memling Museum will host a new expo which will educate us on how it must have been like to be sick in 16th & 17th century Bruges. How doctors, nurses and pharmacists tried to cure people with limited means and how faith helped people in their final hours.

Practical information:

* 29 September 2011 until 26 February 2012 - closed on 25/12/2011 and 01/01/2012

* Open from 9h30 till 17h00, closed on Mondays (till 16h00 on 24/12/2011 and 31/12/2011)

* adult price is 8 euro, last entrance for individuals at 16h30 (15h30 on 24/12/2011 and 31/12/2011)

If you wish to book a private guide for one (or both) of these exhibitions you may contact me directly. I will then provide you with the necessary information.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Edited: 23 August 2011, 13:46
1. Re: new museum info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 22:16