We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges train station to the Markt

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
358 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges train station to the Markt

In a weeks time we are going by Eurostar (and normal train) to Bruges. Can anyone tell me whether we will be able to walk (pulling a suitcase) from the train station to our hotel - the Navarra. We gather the Navarra is only a short walk from the Markt. Or is there a better way to get to the hotel?

Bergen County, New...
Level Contributor
3,989 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

Google Maps (no download needed) can show you exactly what you want to see. I would not carry a suitcase from the train station to the Markt. It's too far. There are plenty of De Lijn (... transit authority) busses in that direction, but it's always hard to fit luggage onto public busses. If you're lucky, there won't be any strollers or baby carriages on your trip.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

Hello,

Hotel Navarra is located in Sint-Jakobsstraat, which is about 20 minutes walking from the train station or 5 minutes if you take a bus to the Market square.

In front of the train station you will find buses and taxis. You can take any bus that says CENTRUM (or MARKT) on top of the bus. They will stop on the central Market Square, which is the third bus stop from the train station. You can buy your ticket in the ticket shop, that's the small building next to the bus stop: € 1,20 per person for a single trip

A taxi to your hotel shouldn't be more than € 15.

Personally I wouldn't mind walking to the hotel, it's not that far. The easiest route takes you through a park and one of the main shopping streets:

Start by crossing the street in front of the train station and turn left, through the park, towards the orange/pink building (Concertbuilding). Pass the Concertbuilding and take the first street on your right, it's called Zuidzandstraat and will later change into Steenstraat. This is one of the most important shopping streets and ends on the Market Square. You'll pass the St. Salvators cathedral on your way.

On the Market Square turn left and walk straight ahead (the Belfry tower should be behind you, and you'll walk along the ING Bank, a FNAC store and shoe shop). Just keep walking straight ahead and you'll walk into Sint-Jakobsstraat. Hotel Navarra is a bit further on your left side.

The sidewalk through the park and shopping steet is OK, no cobbles, it's flat. The Market square and Sint-Jakobsstraat have these tiny square cobbles. Not the large round ones.

So I guess it all depends on what you prefer :)

Kind regards,

Sabrina

San Jose, CA
Level Contributor
824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

I would recommend taking a bus. The walk is nice, but not while pulling suitcase over cobblestones. You would make a lot of noise even over the small ones.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
174 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

I agree, we had a much shorter walk and the cobblestones are a killer dragging a suitcase

Shropsire
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

Hi

I don't suppose you would be able to tell me which bus to get to Langestraat

(Yasmine B&B)?

thanks

Edited: 14 September 2011, 09:43
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

Hi,

Bus 6 or 16, bus stop "Coupure" or "Molenbrug".

Or a CENTRUM bus, stop on the Market square and then walk 5 to 10 minutes.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Shropsire
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

Hi Sabrina,

thanks very much for the information.

8. Re: Bruges train station to the Markt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:16