We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Hello forum readers!

Some of you have perhaps heard about a new museum opening in Bruges in October 2011. If not, here is some more information:

In 2010 we celebrated 500 years of carillion music. For that occasion the city decided to make an inventory of all the bells in the historic city center of Bruges. About 150 bells were counted and for each bell they tracked down where the bell was cast and by whom. To complete the inventory the sound of each bell was recorded and stored in a database.

The interactive Sound Factory basically is the finished result of all that hard work. Via touch screens you can search for the bells and of course listen to their sounds. You can also create your own music by combining the sounds of the different bells.

A nice extra is the fact that Sound Factory is located on the upper floors of the Concertbuilding. You'll get a lovely view over Bruges and you'll be able to take a picture of the skyline with the three important towers: Belfry, Church of Our Lady and Sint-Salvators cathedral.

The official opening is on 9 October 2011.

Practical information:

Adult price is 6 euro.

Opening hours: 9h30 - 17h00 (last entrance at 16h15)

The new museum is located inside the Concertbuilding on 't Zand square.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Oh nice one!

In 2000 - on my first visit - there was a bell ringing practice took place - I still get goosebumps remembering it - the music was 'Anna-Marie' which really surprised me - but totally moved me as that is my daughters name and my late daddy used to whistle it all the time.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Is this covered under the Bruges card?

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply, but I wasn't entirely sure about the Sound Factory being in the Brugge City Card, which is why I contacted my colleague who is responsible for product development, but since the office is closed on Saturday and Sunday it took a while to get a reply ;)

Anyway: yes, the Sound Factory is included in the Brugge City Card!

However......the Bruges Card exists as well!!!! That pass is not created by the tourist office, so I cannot verify whether the Sound Factory is in that one.

Brugge City Card: www.bruggecitycard.be

Bruges Card: www.brugescard.be

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Thank you so much for the reply. I think I will be adding this to my list of things I want to do. We arrive tomorrow and I am so excited.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

Oooh gosh, I'm glad I replied in time! Hope you'll have a great time in Bruges.

Sabrina

6. Re: NEW MUSEUM: Sound Factory opens this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:16