We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich & London UK
12 posts
Save Topic
Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

Hello Sabrina,

I'm really glad I found this forum. We would be grateful for your (or any other member's) expert advice! I hope there are not too many questions :-)

We are a family of 8 adults from London who shall stay very near Bruges for Easter this year (at a place in Torhout). We have 2 cars and intend to drive into Bruge for day time sight-seeing.

Please could you advise us on the following?

- inexpensive day-time parking for 2 cars in centre of Bruge

- restaurants that serve good vegetarian dishes in centre of Bruge (so we may stop for lunch, all 8 of us are vegetarian and we may not bring packed lunches with us on that particular day)

- Bakery and grocery shops in and around Torhout so that we can purchase bread, croissants, milk, pasta, fruit and vegetables for breakfast and for our evening meals (we intend to cook at the cottage in the evenings)

- local dairies (in Torhout or Bruges) that sell locally produced cheese - we would love to purchase some nice local varieties for breakfast or lunch (perhaps with wine...)

- scenic places to visit in and around Bruges (by car or boat) we like greenery, valleys, mountains, small towns on hillsides, sculptures and so on.

I would be grateful for tips and advice on any of the above queries if you have knowledge to share,

Thank you,

Victor (and 7 others!)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

I'm still laughing at your helpful information about liking mountains, valleys and small towns on hillsides ... the area around Brugge is as flat as a pancake, this is the Low Countries after all! But nearby Damme, with its windmills, is quite scenic. You can get there from Brugge by bus, bike or paddle-steamer (www.welkom-brugge.be/AttractieDetail.aspx…) although the trip is not at all scenic, in my opinion. This is the only boat trip I know of FROM Brugge, but the canal tour in Brugge itself is worth doing.

The cheapest place to park in Brugge is still the car park next to the railway station, although this is no longer quite as cheap as it was.

For cheese try http://www.dekaasbolle.be/ There is a cheese called OId Bruges (Oud Brugge).

For vegetarian restaurants see www.happycow.net/europe/belgium/brugge/ - note that you will have to avoid frites or at least ask what sort of fat was used to make them (which is likely to be beef dripping).

Edited: 25 March 2012, 02:05
Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
462 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

- inexpensive day-time parking for 2 cars in centre of Brugge:

CAR PARK at railwaystation (front) €3.50/24 H and free busticket citycentre included for driver and passengers.

- Bakery and grocery shops in and around Torhout so that we can purchase bread, croissants, milk, pasta, fruit and vegetables for breakfast and for our evening meals (we intend to cook at the cottage in the evenings).

- local dairies (in Torhout or Bruges) that sell locally produced cheese - we would love to purchase some nice local varieties for breakfast or lunch (perhaps with wine...):

In TORHOUT you'll find supermarkets like

DELHAIZE Karel de Goedelaan 8

CARREFOUR SUPER GB PARTNER Hofstraat 11

COLRUYT Kortemarkstraat 25

Wednesday is market day in TORHOUT. You'll find a lot of local products !

Do visit the local TORHOUT mustard maker Conscienceplein 7 Torhout

http://www.mostaardwostyn.be/

Edited: 25 March 2012, 09:59
Norwich & London UK
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

Thank you so much for the speedy responses! I was secretly worried about being limited to flat country side as that is exactly the type of country side we see near our homes in England (farming areas). No wonder you were laughing! We have our cars - I guess we could drive to the beach, to Gent, find some different landscape on one of our 3 days...As always, suggestions would be welcome.

Danny - many thanks, this detailed information is indeed very useful for us!

Norwich & London UK
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

qaminari, many thanks about the extra tip on the frites....invaluable!

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

When you have finished your Mountaineering and Hill Climbing in and around Bruges ( prepare for altitude sickness ) :) you make like to visit our favourite cheese shop ! it`s called " De Westhoek " and you find this place of delights on Noordzandstraat 39 - 8000 Brugge , Tel 050 3360 32 .

There are many fine quality Cheese`s to choose from including OId Bruges (Oud Brugge) we like the 2 year old mature one but the mild one is very nice too , just ask for a taste as the gentleman who runs the shop is most helpful to his customers !

We also buy our Parmesan from him as he sells a Un -Pastuerized one we find is a much better taste than the Pastuerized version !

He also sells very good quality cured meats and mustards Mmmmmmmmmmmm ! Enjoy :)

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

For different landscape: the windmills at Damme are on a sort of raised bank (see http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Belgium/Provincie_West_Vlaanderen/Brugge-357609/Off_the_Beaten_Path-Brugge-Nearby_Towns_or_Villages-BR-1.html). Ghent is a great place to visit, but the surrounding countryside is just as flat as at Brugge.

In my opinion, the Belgian coast is not as nice as that of Norfolk. It gets a little better (less built-up) if you cross the border from Knokke to Cadzand Bad in the Netherlands - still very flat but you can walk/cycle on a path created on top of the dyke and marvel at the difference in level between the beach and the (lower) farmland.

If you fancy visiting Ieper - although unfortunately the wonderful "In Flanders Fields" museum is closed for renovations until mid-June - just outside the town you have the Kemmelberg/Mont Kemmel, where I once stayed at the hotel of the same name. I think the "mount" is all of 150m high but it has a commanding position over the surrounding area (webmatters.net/monuments/ww1_french_kemmel.h…).

For a real change of scenery you'd have to go as far as the Ardennes, e.g; Spa, Namur, Dinant. These last 2 have citadels perched high up over the Meuse, in the case of Dinant reached by funicular (owlytravel.com/a-walk-around-dinant-belgium/) (at Namur you have to take a bus). Or if you have the time, travel further towards Germany, to Durbuy (http://www.belgiumtheplaceto.be/durbuy.php), Rochefort or La Roche en Ardenne.

Norwich & London UK
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

EastYorkCpl - thank you.  cheese venue, along with the earlier advice from qaminari, will now be one of our first destinations for the weekend! Love cheese! In particular thanks for the tip on the parmesan and mustard, we will be cooking at least two evenings, so this is a key tip for us.

qaminari again thank you for such objective and specific advice; we will be looking into these links more before our trip. We now we have a more realistic expectation of the coast line...thank you 

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad

8. Re: Vegetarian Restaurants, Parking, local Cheese & Supermarkets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:41