We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

Plainfield, IN
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

Beginning my trip in Brussels (2 nights), ending with the last night in Brussels before we fly out. So, I have 5 nights between. I know I want to do Amsterdam. The question is 2 or 3 nights in Amsterdam, should I stay in Brugge, Antwerp, Rotterdam.....any help would be greatly appreciated. FYI, we are in our mid-40's, love to eat, drink, and be merry : )

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

It depends on which cities you definitely want to visit (which only you can know!) and whether you want to visit them by staying overnight or by day trips from other places, which also depends on how much you like packing and unpacking (personally, I like to keep this to a minimum). I would do 2 nights Brussels, 1 night Brugge, 4 nights Amsterdam, 1 night Brussels; and visit Antwerp on the way between Brugge and Amsterdam, leaving bags at Antwerpen-Centraal station. Unless perhaps you also want to visit Ghent, in which case I might stay 2 nights in Brugge, visiting Ghent from there (less than 30 mins by train: €12.40 return on weekdays, €7.20 on Sat or Sun), and 3 in Amsterdam. If you want to visit Rotterdam (why?!), you can do it from there.

But really, you are the only ones who can decide what you want to do, others can only advise on what is possible: and Belgium is so small that you can do this in a number of different ways, including day trip to Brugge from Brussels (1 hr by train) - or, of course, vice versa.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Centraal Station
Centraal Station
12,443 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Manchester
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

middle of May is best season for Amsterdam!!!

so, you should spend 3 nights over there,

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Plainfield, IN
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

Thank you qaminari for the detailed response! I am curious to know your thoughts on renting a car. Two years ago we rented a car in Ireland and loved driving from town to town. I know public transportation is excellent over there; however, lugging our bags does not sound ideal. We had thought about doing one night in Brugge as you suggested, but we like to stay in nice modern hotels. What I have found online are small, sometimes dated hotels. Any thoughts? We are totally not set on Rotterdam, actually I had heard of the city and wasn't sure where else to go. To be honest, I need to do some more research. We are really open to anything. Some of our favorite things in Ireland were stopping in at small pubs and having a pint with the locals.

*Colin S, we will be traveling mid/late July, does that change your suggestion?

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
505 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

in my opinion i should not hire a car. the public (train)transport in belgium is very good (except strikes and major delays...) .

major trainstations are usualy in the city centre.

using a car in a city means you have to park your car. it can be difficult and expensive or you have to find a hotel with a private car park.

in and around brussels you get stuck in trafic jams nearly all day...

a basic (new) modern hotel is etap hotel at the railwaystation in bruges.

etaphotel.com/gb/booking/hotels-list.shtml

if you consider to use a car i can recommend a vandervalk hotel in the street where i live near de E40 motorway Oostende(25min.)-Gent(30min.)-Brussel(60min.).

BRUGES=6 km.

http://hotelbrugge-oostkamp.be/nl

Edited: 22 May 2012, 08:23
Mentioned in this post
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
5. Re: 5 nights in Belgium/Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 03:41