We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges Canal Cruise

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
272 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges Canal Cruise

From what I gather, there are canal cruises that depart from 5 different locations in Bruges.

(1) Are they operated by the same company?

(2) Is there any particular tour operator out of the 5 operators that we should consider avoiding?

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Hello,

They are 5 different companies, but they use the same boats, do the same tour, offer the same explanation, and charge the same price. It doesn't really matter which one you take.

Best regards,

Sabrina

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Hi Sabrina,

What's the best time to do the canal cruise, when the rides are not too crowded? We will be there on a monday next month.

Thanks!

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Hello,

Best time to do the boat tour is before 11h00. They open at 10h00. Most tourists arrive inside the city center after 11h00.

Busiest moments are in the full afternoon.

If you can't make it before 11h00, try between 16h00 and 17h30.

Keep in mind that the success of the boat trips heavily depends on the weather. Good weather = full boats all day long. Bad weather = half empty boats. :)

Best regards,

Sabrina

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Thanks a lot!

Are they open late in the evening as well, during dusk? I guess that will be around 10pm in June. We will stay the night in Bruges so we have the option to take the ride any time in the day.

Also, how much do they charge and how long is the ride? I am interested in some leisure photography.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Sabrina, thanks for the weather warning! Didn't think about it. Our plan is not too flexible so we might not be able to change the day we visit Bruges, since we have a hotel reservation in Amsterdam which is not cancelable.

However, if the weather on the day is really bad (storm etc) do you advise that we skip Bruges and go for some day trip around Amsterdam? We have a flight to Barcelona so in that case we would have to visit Bruges another time.

What do you suggest?

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
3,491 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

If one boat operator is full, just walk on to the next one. At least three of them are located very close to one another.

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Hello again,

Personally I think Bruges should be visited when the weather is nice, or at least, dry. But then again, that applies to each city.

Many of our main attractions are outdoor things. Like the Beguinage, Lake of Love, Market square, Burg square, Rozenhoedkaai and Fish Market.

Part of the joy of Bruges is its compact size. You'll be walking all day long, taking in the sights, canals, parks, squares and cobbled streets as you go and stopping here and there for a museum visit or lunch / late afternoon snack / dinner.

Bruges also deserves more than 1 day really. Many people visit Bruges as a day trip but I think you should at least spend one night, and taste those precious quiet moments early in the morning (before 10h00) and late in the evening (after 20h00) that make Bruges so very lovely and special and are treasured by the locals.

It's up to you now to decide what to do, but whatever you decide I do hope you'll come visit one day. :-D

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Ooow, LOL, I was just about to hit the SUBMIT button when I saw that other post of yours. Glad to read you're staying one night.

I suggest you have a look at my Trip List "Daytrips and excursions in and around Bruges" especially item 3 (boats) and 15 (guided photo tours):

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i24121-Daytrips…

Grtz,

Sabrina

Mentioned in this post
Burg Square
Burg Square
3,245 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Rozenhoedkaai
Rozenhoedkaai
123 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Do you know if there is a company in Bruges that does a canal or river trip which includes lunch or dinner?

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

None of them do lunch / dinner.

Kindest regards,

Sabrina

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
36,040 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bruges Canal Cruise

Small canals, small boats: they don't have tables for meals! Look at the photos on in-bruges.co.uk/canal-boat-tour-in-bruges/…

There IS a paddle steamer that goes from Brugge to Damme that has an on-board bar/café, see http://www.bootdamme-brugge.be/ - but if you want a nice meal you'll need to eat in a proper restaurant, whether in Brugge or Damme.