We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me. I bought a one way ticket to go from Amsterdam to Bruge a while ago but recently checked it as we are traveling next week and I want to make sure this is right. My Thalys ticket and reservation says Amsterdam C to Bruxelles-Midi/BR. It also says no flex, no exchange/no refund but on the next line it reads +any Belgian station.

Does this mean I only need this ticket to get to Bruge, or do I have to purchase another ticket from BR to Bruge? I thought +any Belgian Station meant I would just continue to Bruge on this ticket. Also, when I get to the BR station, where do I then find the Bruge train? Thank you so much!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

I took Eurostar from London to Ghent a couple weeks ago - same thing. If it says "any Belgian station" then that is your ticket onward also. The int'l train ends at Brussels Midi, then you find the next local train to Bruges.

I suggest you ask someone - the train departures are posted by final destination and Bruges is probably going to be a stop on a train going farther.

By the way, I took the trains and trams for 3 days in Belgium and don't remember anyone ever checking a ticket.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

Yes, Thalys ABS ticket covers you all the way to Brugge (or any other destination in Belgium). However, the Thalys from Amsterdam either terminates in Brussels or continues to Paris, so you have to change trains at Bruxelles-Midi. You are free to take any train you like within the next 24 hrs, but the fastest are InterCity (IC) trains headed for Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge.

When you arrive at Midi, you just look at the departure board or monitors to see which platform the next (IC) train to one of those destinations is leaving from. IC trains stop only at Gent St. Pieters before Brugge but there are also double-decker commuter trains that stop at every station and therefore take nearly twice as long.

Not that it's all that relevant as you already have a ticket, but I suspect the memory of the previous respondent is confused, or relates to trams/metro rather than trains. On Belgian trains, an inspector normally comes round between each section of the journey - so on the trip to Brugge, first between Brussels and Ghent and then between Ghent and Brugge. I can assure you that on a recent train trip to De Panne, the inspectors checked me once and then passed me at least 5 times in each direction - but they remember who they have already checked.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Blankenberge
Blankenberge
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
De Panne
De Panne
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,544 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

Thanks. Yes, now I remember that there was a very nice conductor on the train from Brussels to Ghent.

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Ghent
Ghent
East Flanders Province, Belgium
Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
375 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

Thank you for the valuable information, Pitzikat and qaminari! I was beginning to worry when I noticed Bruges wasn't listed on the ticket but knew I'd get to the bottom of this by posting this question on TA. Qaminari, thanks for also letting me know which IC train to take! Can't wait for next week!!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
5. Re: Do I have a ticket to Bruge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 August 2013, 10:17