We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

Birmingham
Level Contributor
401 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

We'll be calling at Zeebrugge on the Sunday before Christmas, and our party will include two elderly ladies, who walking ability is limited, ie. they can't walk long distances or up hills. Would it be feasible to get a taxi from the port to drop us off close to the Christmas Markets, so that they could have a taste of the atmosphere, or can vehicles not get close?

Thank you for any advice :)

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

Hi,

I've no experience of getting a taxi from Zeebrugge but assuming there will be plenty of them around when a ferry docks then yes, you would easily be able to get a taxi from there and get dropped off close to the Christmas Markets in Bruges which are around the Markt and Simon stevinplein area.

I am sure this will be controversion but some food for thought if you're making the trip to Bruges entirely for the Christmas market itself: Although it's been a couple of years since I last visited Bruges when the Christmas Market was on I have been a number of times and I've always found it distinctly underwhelming. The city itself is glorious, my favourite city in the world, the shops around Christmas time are wonderful, particularly the chocolate shops which provides the "Christmassy feel" and there's some wonderful bars and restaurants hence the reason I will be going again this year. It's not for the market though as personally I think it lessens the beauty of Bruges rather than enhances it. In fact as far as a market goes the Birmingham one was better when I visited a couple of years back.

Hope this helps.

P.s. I am not scrooge!

(hard hat donned!)

Edited: 26 September 2012, 12:57
Mentioned in this post
The Markt
The Markt
4,625 Reviews
Bruges, Belgium
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

Hi,

Additional information in item 16: tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i26766-FAQ_ab…

If you are coming with P&O Ferries be advised that they provide shuttle buses to Bruges and back to Zeebrugge.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Mentioned in this post
Bruges
Bruges
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

We agree with the first reply you had on the Xmas Market and Bruge !

Yes the Lights and shops are well worth the visit and it looks magical after dark BUT as a Xmas Market we felt it fell far short of many visitors expectations ours included , we were there last Xmas and stayed overnight and we loved it all except the poor quality of most items on sale and the excessive prices been asked ! It could be so much better , yes the food and drink stalls were a welcome sight but the tat on offer really let the whole experience of a " Xmas Market " visit down for us , and many others we talked to !

So please enjoy your visit to Bruge , as we always do , but just do not expect too much from the Xmas market !

Birmingham
Level Contributor
401 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

Thank you all. We shall be calling into Bruges on a cruise over Christmas, so wouldn't be travelling specifically for the Christmas market. Just wanted to make sure that my Mum would get the opportunity of getting some of the atmosphere, without lots of walking. I think a taxi from the port, and a wander a far as she can would work.

Birmingham Christmas Market is great - except for the crowds!! :)

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Birmingham
West Midlands, UK
Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

Hi ! could you maybe clarify which "cruise" you are taking ? wether a P&O from Hull or a Cruise Ship from one of the other operators ?

The answers and help you would receive will be different depending on which method used as the " Cruise Ships " use a different dock from the "P&O" Hull/Zeebrugge route !

The P&O Hull route ship has a Mobility Bus available on request via a phone call to the Dover office which may suit your Mum because of the easier access at the rear via a ramp ! operated by a nice chap called Gerr who if you are on the other cruise dock may be available for private hire !

You can hire a wheelchair from an hotel in Bruges which would make it easier for your Mum as well !

Maybe Sabrina will help out with details on these 2 options ?

Whatever you do you will enjoy Bruges at Xmas time :)

Mentioned in this post
Dover
Dover
Kent, UK
6. Re: Zeebrugge to Christmas Markets for elderly people

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 14:18