We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

We are going to Bruges for three days in October half term and staying in the Hotel Tulereen. Can you recommend some good things to do in Bruges and the Flanders area with kids of 9 and 12? It is a tricky age as they are not babies but not teenagers either...

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

I first visited Belgium when I was 10, and enjoyed the canal boats in Brugge and the trenches around Ieper (the excellent In Flanders Fields museum didn't exist then) - and of course the chocolate and frites. There's a frites museum in Brugge, if that appeals. I also liked the béguinage/ begijnhof, though not the churches. You could also go to Ghent for a change of scene, especially if your children like castles.

However I don't know why you think we should know when "half-term" is in the UK. If by any chance it is at the end of October, you might need to know that Thursday 1 November is a public holiday in Belgium, when shops will be closed.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

Having no kids I am probably the most useless person to be answering this! but agree with qaminari about the canal boat trip, maybe a horse and carriage trip and the chocolate and frites museums and the castle in Ghent would be good. Guess it depends what your kids are into?

If the weathers half decent what about hiring some bikes for a day and riding up along the canal to Damme (or beyond depending on how athletic your feeling!). There's also the windmills on the edge of the city to see. Again depends on if your kids like seeing things like that.

Also of course you can climb the Belfort tower in the centre of Bruges. 366 steps and 80 odd meters high. This would be a winner in my view as even if they didn't like it they'd be to knackered to complain after all the steps LOL!

Have a great time

Rob

Edited: 27 September 2012, 08:02
Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

Hi,

For Bruges: tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i24415-Are_we…

There is a Sealife center, Serpentarium, blacklight indoor mini golf, pirate mini golf and large outdoor playground in Blankenberge. Blankenberge, a seaside resort on the coast, is less than 20 minutes by train from Bruges.

Tourist office website Blankenberge: blankenberge.be/Toerisme/…2058

When I was in my mid-teens my parents took me and my nephew on a boat trip in Ghent. You can rent these little boats that are very easy to navigate, you get explained how to use the boat and then you're on your way for a couple of hours. I had a lot of fun that day.

http://www.minervaboten.be/

Kind regards,

Sabrina

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

Thank you all so much. I am very grateful for this excellent advice and will make an effort to do lots of those activities that the three of you have suggested. It really was kind of you to go in to such helpful detail. Your advice will enable us to have a lot of fun in Bruges and the surrounding area.

Qaminari - I apologise for having mentioned 'half term' without the dates. In the Uk it is indeed at the end of October. There is no reason why you should have know when it is!

5. Re: Bruges with 2 children age 12 and 9

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 15:18