We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Hi

The official start last year was our day of departure and although there were a few stalls open the night before, this year it would be nice to see it in full swing.

We have already booked and are hoping our dates( what work/life allows) this year fall in to the "full swing". So any news yet?

Also as we are there two full days is Ghent worth a visit? If so can someone point me in the right direction train wise. If not anywhere else close at hand?

Thanks.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,906 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

1) tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188671-i448-k5760…

2) What do you mean by "point you in the right direction train wise"? The right direction for trains would be Brugge railway station (!), from which trains with final destination Brussels or Mechelen leave at least a couple of times an hour, and take less than 30 mins to Gent Sint Pieters. Timetables on http://www.railtime.be/website/train-schedule

Price is €6.20 single, €12.40 return, €7.20 weekend return (including day return on Sat/Sun). If you are here in December there will normally be a day return "shopping ticket" available for use on weekends before Christmas, and weekdays also between Christmas and New Year, which I would guess will cost about €10; but they haven't announced it yet for this year. At all events, just tell the ticket clerk at the station when you want to go and come back, and they will make sure you get the best value ticket available.

Incidentally once you get to Gent St. Pieters you will also need to take a tram from there into the city centre, it's tram no. 1 direction Evergem, and you'll probably want to get off at Korenmarkt, a good 10-15 mins later. A single ticket costs €1.20 purchased beforehand (from De Lijn office - including in Brugge, the same company covers Ghent) or machine at the tram stop, €2 if you buy it from the tram driver. It's not worth getting a day pass ("dagpas": €5 purchased in advance, €7 on the tram) unless you are doing more than the trip from station to centre and back (2 trips = €2.40/€4 per person) but a multi-trip "Lijnkaart" might be useful if you are doing other trips in Brugge and/or if "we" means there are several of you: it costs €9, which would cover 10 trips for the sort of distances you are likely to travel. All tickets/cards have to be validated in the yellow machine after boarding the tram, including when purchased from the driver.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Thank you qaminari.

That is all the info i need and our dates fit in (just) with the opening.

Many thanks that is all very helpful!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,906 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Incidentally if you have the time (2 hrs each way) you can also do this journey by bus, although it involves no advantage in terms of where you leave Brugge or arrive in Ghent, as this is still Brugge/Gent Sint Pieters station.

On weekdays, at least - and during term-times, the timetable changes for school holidays - De Lijn bus 58 departs from Brugge Station for Ghent at e.g. 08:35 (arr. 10:32), 09:37 (arr. 11:32) and 10:37 (arr. 12:32); and returns from GSP to Brugge at e.g. 16:12 (arr. 18:26), 17:16 (arr. 19:27) and 18:17 (arr. 20:17). Full timetable on …delijn.be/dienstregelingen/Kalender2011/Ovl…

It's slow but cheap, as you can do the trip both ways, including the tram into and out of Ghent city-centre, using a De Lijn day pass for €5 each!

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Hi,

FYI: X-mas market dates (as confirmed by the city council) are 23 November 2012 until 2 January 2013.

Kind regards,

Sabrina

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
469 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Thank you both :-)

london
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

How do I get from Bruges to Brussels by train

We are coming to Bruge fro 2 nights 3 days and we wondering if we could do Bruges one day Gwent the next and Brussels winterland before ctaching the

eurostar home. But we do not know how ong it will take to get to each of these places.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

Takes about an hour to get to Brussels (Central) from Bruges by train and circa half that time to get to Gent.

8. Re: Yes i know it's a bit early but... Christmas Market date?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:17