We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High speed train tickets

Macon, Georgia
Level Contributor
358 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
High speed train tickets

We will be leaving from Bruges to Antwerp on the regional train, making a connection in Antwerp to a high speed train to Amsterdam. Am I correct that the best place to reserve those tickets is on the Thalys website? Or is there a better website than this? Thanks!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
33,559 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High speed train tickets

If you particularly want to stop off in Antwerp, you may have to buy these tickets separately, i.e. book Thalys from Antwerpen-Centraal, and buy a connecting ticket locally. I think this would also be the cheapest option if you would be doing this journey on a weekday before the end of August, when you can buy a "summer deal" ticket" from/to any station in Belgium for €7.50 (Brugge-Antwerp normally costs €14.50, and still does if not travelling on a weekday).

You can purchase from Thalys, making certain to select ABS option to cover starting the journey in Brugge - but I believe it will route you through Brussels, not Antwerp. Ditto Belgian Railways' international site, www.b-europe.com/Travel - filling in Brugge as departure station and Amsterdam-Centraal as arrival station will automatically give you ABS conditions.

ABS (Any Belgian Station) is a essentially a flat-rate supplement for a through-ticket starting at any station in Belgium other than the one where you board Thalys, which the websites in question generally consider to be Brussels. Someone said recently that the ABS supplement - i.e. the price difference between Brussels-Amsterdam and Brugge-Amsterdam - was now €14, but you may have to test different departures to see what it would be on your dates, and also what route the ticket would be for.

2. Re: High speed train tickets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 06:19