We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges or Amsterdam?

Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges or Amsterdam?

My husband and I will be taking the overnight ferry from Hull in England to either Amsterdam or Bruges, staying one day and taking the overnight ferry back to Hull. I can't decide which to visit for this short time. Any advice from anyone who has visited both cities? It will be in September.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges or Amsterdam?

Firstly, these ferries don't go directly to either Brugge or Amsterdam but to Zeebrugge for Brugge and Hook of Holland for Amsterdam. You might want to look at the detail of your day in both cases, including transfers offered (I presume) by P&O ferries.

Secondly, you are trying to decide between a small, picturesque, tranquil (hopefully, in September) medieval city, where the best thing to do is to stroll about enjoying the atmosphere, and a much larger city, but less tourist-dependant city with world-class museums and many famous monuments. Having visited both is no basis for advising anyone else whose tastes and interests I don't know, and all I can say is that even if both cities have canals (and a diamond museum), they are very different.

You just have to make up your own mind as to what you want to do, perhaps by reading all the information already on TA such as tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188671-Activiti… (47 "attractions") and tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188590-Activiti… (258 "attractions"!).

If you can't decide on that basis, you might just as well toss a coin!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Zeebrugge
Zeebrugge
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
305 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges or Amsterdam?

We take it that by Hook of Holland you mean Rotterdam Port ?

As to the original question as we have done both of these trip with P&O we feel qualified to make some observation`s !

Bruges transfer by P&O coaches take 30/35 minutes and drop you off near to the Railway station , you then have a leisurely 15 stroll into the centre :0 lots to see & do whatever your predilections !

Amsterdam transfer takes 1/&1/2 hours and drops you off about 100 yards from Central Station , 5 minutes walk and you are slap bang in the main streets with all they offer to the tourist !

Both Coach transfers leave at 5pm , again 35 mins or 1&1/2 hors return journeys !

If you miss your transfer then a taxi to the port would be around €50 from Bruges and in the 100`s of € from Amsterdam ! ouch !!

Food wise there is not a lot of difference with both cities catering for international tastes as well as Local cuisine , prices are maybe 10-15% higher in Amsterdam on average !

If you are a drinker/smoker then Bruges is cheaper !

So compact Bruges or sprawling Amsterdam ? we love `em both but from personal choice we will do four Bruges:) trips to every one to Amsterdam :)

One thing to note is all the time we have travelled to both Bruges & Amsterdam is the fact no one we have known has had their pockets picked in Bruges BUT quite a few in Amsterdam !

And with the P&O 2-4-1 offers starting around September time it`s cheap enough to do both if wanted !

Which ever one you choose , Enjoy !

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Adelaide, South...
Level Contributor
9 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges or Amsterdam?

Thanks so much qaminari and EastYorksCpl for taking the time to post your helpful replies. You've helped me decide that Bruges is the go this first trip. We're actually going with my Yorkshire cousin and her husband who have done both trips often and they too seemed to lean towards Bruges. Thanks too for the 2-4-1 tip too - we may be lucky.

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,898 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges or Amsterdam?

@EastYorksCpl: yes, sorry I was thinking of the service from Harwich! (Another English port beginning with "h")

5. Re: Bruges or Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Bruges