We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sunderland, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are visiting Bruges for New Year. I plan to propose on New Year's eve at Lover's Lake.

I was thinking of doing a scavenger hunt for her to come and find me. Do you know if many shops will be open around that area that would help me out with clues?

My plan is to leave a post card somewhere with directions to where she needs to go to next.

Thanks!

1. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2014, 15:48
Sunderland, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Thanks for the advice!

Glad you think it's cute! I hopes she likes it.

I will let you know how I get on. The hotel lobby's idea is good!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
116 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

I don't have any recommendations but I just wanted to say what a cute idea! My girlfriend proposed to me in Bruges last year. Her idea was to do it on a carriage ride but when we got back from an excursion it was raining too hard and she did it in our hotel room, ha! Either way---a proposal in Bruges is magical no matter the spot. Good luck and make sure you come back and give us an update!

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Hi,

I like the idea of a scavenger hunt, definitely creative. You could start with leaving a note in your own hotel room / hotel lobby and send her off to some typical Bruges shops. For instance:

- Juliette's cookie shop, in Wollestraat (near Market square, heart of town)

- a lace shop, mostly to be found in Breidelstraat, Wollestraat (near Market square) and also some in Katelijnestraat (on the way to Lake of Love)

- The Chocolate Line or Dumon, both on Simon Stevin square (sort of halfway between Market and Lake of Love)

- the beer brewery Halve Maan, on Walplein (near Lake of Love)

I think 3 to 5 places are probably enough, given that she has to find her way around a town she doesn't really know. Perhaps you can have her pick up a clue and a little gift as well from each shop. That way it might be easier to convince shops to help you, if you actually buy a little something?

Another idea is to propose on 't Zand square. Every year on NYE there is a sing along on 't Zand square, it usually starts at around 23h00 and continues till after the fireworks that start the new year. Lyrics of the song are handed out and people gather to sing them. There is a small stage on which several people lead the crowd.

To give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g50kcmhLjlY

So, you could contact the organisation and ask if it would be possible to propose on stage and have the people sing a song for you two, perhaps her favourite song? This is not a private moment though :)

Comité voor Initiatief is responsible for Vlaanderen Zingt:

http://comitevoorinitiatief.be/brugge/

If you need help with something feel free to contact me personally.

Kind greetings,

Sabrina

Edited: 02 December 2013, 10:58
Immingham, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Ben, what a great idea! Good luck!

Sunderland, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Thanks for all the advice. I have a good idea of what I'm going to do now! I'll let you know how I get on!

london
Level Contributor
352 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

I'll be in Bruges for New Year, so if you make a public proposal we'll cheer extra loudly. However just a word of caution, assuming this is meant to be a surprise, I'd get this thread removed in case she reads TA, or perhaps she doesn't know she's going to Bruges?

Sunderland, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

I've changed my name and location. I don't think she'll come across this anyhow. Hopefully that will do!

Sunderland, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

For all those that were interested she said yes!

I didn't quite stick to the plan but I got the answer I wanted!

Thanks for all those offering help!

Ben

Sluis, The...
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage Proposal In Bruges

Congratulations! :)