We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges or Gent overnight

Natick...
Level Contributor
38 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Bruges or Gent overnight

Hi, We are not sure which of these two places are the best and most beautiful to stay overnight in. Can you advise?

Thank you!

New York
Level Contributor
517 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

Brugge !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

You are in the Bruges FRANCE forum - you need to be in the Brugge / Bruges BELGIUM forum.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,929 posts
TripAdvisor Staff  
Save Reply
3. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

Hi whales44,

I noticed that you inadvertently posted your question in the Bruges, France Forum, so I have moved the topic on your behalf to the Bruges, Belgium Forum. I hope you find the information you need to plan your upcoming travels.

Kind regards

TA_Jane

TripAdvisor Support Team

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

hi

I am just returning back from both of them. I was there on 9 April 2014

I was confused too before my trip and I was misleaded by some of the answers.

Bruges is by far one of the very few unique cities of the world. It is now in my top list of the most beautiful places I have been. It is something like venice but with a midevel architecture and history. It is very charming and historic and unlike most cities it doea not depend on a historic centre. every place in the city is a must see.

Ghent is a small copy of Bruges with a historic centre that all is about.

I just wondef how is Bruges is not on the top of touristic cities in Europe I never been in a place like it.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

hi

I am just returning back from both of them. I was there on 9 April 2014

I was confused too before my trip and I was misleaded by some of the answers.

Bruges is by far one of the very few unique cities of the world. It is now in my top list of the most beautiful places I have been. It is something like venice but with a midevel architecture and history. It is very charming and historic and unlike most cities it doea not depend on a historic centre. every place in the city is a must see.

Ghent is a small copy of Bruges with a historic centre that all is about.

I just wondef how is Bruges is not on the top of touristic cities in Europe I never been in a place like it.

6. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 19:10
Boston...
Level Contributor
167 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

Have you done both cities in one day? If yes, could you please share how to plan visiting them in one day? Thanks

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

yes I did them in one day.

First we took the train from Brussels, it took about 30 minutes and there are plenty of them and cheap. We reached Ghent mid station then took the tram line 1 red colour infront of the station to the city center where our hotel is. It was infront of the cathedral. We put our luggage then took a small tour in the center then we took the tram again then the train to Brugges at about 10 am. it took about 25 minutes and i think it was 9 euros or something. We stopped at Brugges, took a bus infront of the station there are a lot of them. We continued in the bus until we saw the beautiful canals are fading as we had not any clue where to go. We stopped and walked all through the city the way back to the station and we took a boat it was so interesting and there was also a lot of them. The boat ride took about 45 min and a must do. then we continued, saw a lot of sightseeings and historical places, cathedrals, mansions and old hospitals. Offcourse you can buy some belgian chocolates if you have nit allready done that in Brussels. then we returned back to the train station believe it or not on foot !

We caught a train, been in Ghent at about 5 pm. We wonderd in Ghent , saw the castle, took some pictures. then we went back to the hotel at about 9 pm as the sun went down nothing to be done.

Boston...
Level Contributor
167 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

Thank you so much for your quick reply. We are planning to see both cities in one day to make a day trip from Brussels, but I was confused by reading a lot of posts on this forum that it is not managable.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,597 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bruges or Gent overnight

I don't recall anybody saying it was not "manageable" to visit both in one day (in a full day, anyway), merely that it isn't recommended, as both cities are worth a full day. Doing both in one day is easier taking one of the organised coach tours (because you wouldn't then "waste" as much time on transport), but you would have to check opening hours/operating times of whatever you wanted to do in the late afternoon/evening, and establish priorities - for instance the trip described does not include canal boat trip in Ghent as well as the castle. .

You should note that the trip described at #8 must have involved departure from Brussels at around 08:00 hrs, in order to be back on a train (after dropping off luggage in the city centre - which you won't have to do) from Ghent to Brugge at 10:00 hrs; and that actual visiting time in Ghent was from 17:00 till 21:00 hrs, after which the poster was not returning to Brussels but staying in Ghent. If you wish to emulate that trip, you can of course return to Brussels later than that. If this would be on a weekday, the last train from Gent St. Pieters is at 23:30 arr. Bruxelles-Central 00:09 - but if not staying near that station in Brussels (or Gare du Midi or Gare du Nord), you would need to get back before public transport finishes, which is at around midnight on most lines.

Get answers to your questions about Bruges
Recent Conversations