We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat and Horse Carriage Tours

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Boat and Horse Carriage Tours

Hello,

I have a few questions about the boat and horse drawn carriage tours in Bruges. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) Does anyone have a link to the routes which the boats and carriages take? If not does anyone have a list of what sights are seen from the boat and carriage?

2) I believe I read somewhere that all of the boats travel the same route regardless of where you board the boat from. Is this correct?

Thanks!!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,183 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat and Horse Carriage Tours

1) I don't know of any map or list of sights (the exact route may in any case vary according to traffic conditions, road and building works etc.) but there are videos on http://www.hippo.be/koets/carriage.htm - you may recognise Markt and Burg, with the town hall, and the tour stops halfway outside the béguinage/begijnhof to rest and water the horses, and also passes the Minnewater (so-called "Lake of Love")..

2) I'm not sure whether all the boats take exactly the same route but they cover the same "ground" and all tours are 30 mins, so it doesn't matter which one you take.

Both, but particularly the horse and carriage ride, feature in this video, which also labels some of the sights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV-075bwiJ8

However, I think the issue of specific "sights" is not really what Brugge is about. The whole city is a sight in itself, you don't have to tick off every church and museum or other "place of interest". But if that is what you want to do, it would be easier on foot. The canal boat trip passes by many of the same places so you see them from a different angle, but of course it can't go into e.g. the béguinage.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat and Horse Carriage Tours

Hi Qaminari,

Thank you for the prompt response. I agree that not all of the sights need to be seen...I am interested in seeing some of the city gates and was wondering if any of these can be seen from the boat since they seem to be a little out of the center of town. It would be a nice relaxing way to enjoy them. Thank you for the links to the videos. Looking forward to enjoying Belgium.

London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
829 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat and Horse Carriage Tours

The boat tour operates very much in the centre of town, so you won't be able to see the gates from there.

Some of the maps show where the boat joining points are, if you draw a loop that joins all of them up, extending to the Beguinage in one direction (where they all turn round) and the Jan Van Eyckplein in the other (the other place they all turn round) you have got the route for the boat trips.

None of the gates are very far away from the centre, but if the tour groups are annoying you it is are really easy way to escape them for a little while - they never seem to get that far away from the Markt.

4. Re: Boat and Horse Carriage Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2015, 07:16