We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges or Brussels for one Sunday in May

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
5 posts
Save Topic
Bruges or Brussels for one Sunday in May

I am traveling from Amsterdam to London on May 11 and 12. I have a Thalys train to Brussels Midi that arrives on the morning of May 11 at 7:30 and leave on the Eurostar at 10:56 on May 12, so I have one day and one night on that Sunday and need to decide if I spend it in Brussels or Bruges. I have seen the posts about what is open on Sunday in both cities. I have never visited either city, so I need to know where I will have the most opportunities for exploration for one day and one night. Will I get to see more in Bruges on a Sunday just because it is a more compact and scenic historic center or will I find more things open in Brussels? Price-wise, it appears hotels might be about the same in both places. Any other suggestions? Also, if I do go to Bruges that Sunday, is there any reason to pre-purchase my train reservations or will there be no problem purchasing the tickets once I arrive? Will it be less expensive to purchase in advance?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
30,906 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bruges or Brussels for one Sunday in May

It makes no difference when or how you purchase your train tickets, it costs the same whether this is online or at the station, in advance or on the day of travel. For a day trip on a Sunday you can get the weekend return rate of €15.10. If you do buy online, make sure to specify the correct date of travel because you can't change this (but you can take any train on the date in question, on the route you bought the ticket for).

If you have "seen the posts about what is open on Sunday in both cities", I think you can answer your own question as to "Will I get to see more in Bruges on a Sunday just because it is a more compact and scenic historic center or will I find more things open in Brussels?"!

It depends entirely on what sort of things you want to see. Museums are open in both cities, and obviously there are more of them in Brussels as it is a lot bigger, and sights are spread over a larger distance. But in any case, Brugge is not necessarily "about" seeing specific individual "sights", but walking about enjoying the atmosphere (and maybe taking a canal boat trip).

2. Re: Bruges or Brussels for one Sunday in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 05:16