We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
478 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

Hello,

In less than a few weeks I am taking a 4 week trip to Europe coming from Canada. In the middle of my 4 week vacation I am taking a 2 week tour that goes to many countries. We are making a quick 1 day, actually only about 6 hour stop in Bruges coming from Amsterdam.

With only 6 hours in Bruges what are things people think I should and check out? I wondering how much can be done?

Also what are the best souvenirs I could get people and maybe myself from Belgium? Maybe the most obvious answer is chocolates?

Thanks in advance.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

To get the most out of your short stay you might like to take a horse and carriage tour, these leave from the main square and are a lovely way to take in lots of the main historic buildings and sights in the city. Leaving you time to return to places on foot that catch your eye or explore the museums, churches and other beautiful buildings. You will only just scratch the surface in a few short hours, we return next weekend for our 4th visit and are still discovering things we missed on previous visits.

One thing is guaranteed, you will have a lovely time.

Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
275 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

I've gathered these by doing some research on this site and others. With only 6 hours you'll have to whittle down this list.

Basilica of the Holy Blood, Church of Our Lady, Saint Salvador Church

Rozenhoedkaai / Groene rei - scenic spots

Shopping: L’Héroïne, Curiositeiten

Bookstore: Brugse Boekhandel

Christmas items: De Witte Pelikaan

Waffles: Carpe Diem, Laurenzino

Chocolate: Depla Chocolatier, Chocolate Line , Chocolaterie Spegelaere

Fries: right in front of Belfry Tower

The De Halve Maan Brewery

Walk to the top of the Belfry Tower

Canal boat tour

Horse drawn carriage ride

Go see Fidel the lab at Côté Canal bed and breakfast

Lunch: Curiosa, Brasserie Medard, Bistro de Schilder, Café Terrastje

Bars:

Le Trappist

T' Brugsch Bieratelier

Bierbrasserie Cambrinus

Staminee De Garre

Herberg Vlissinghe‎ (oldest bar in Bruges)

Beer shops: The Bottle Shop, De Struise Beer Shop, Delhaize supermarket, 2be

3. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2014, 13:11
Fairhope, Alabama
Level Contributor
275 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

Everything I listed are things my wife and I want to see in Bruges. We've never been so make sure to research my list.

With only 6 hours, you'll have to decide what's most important to you. Are you a beer drinker? Shopper? Historian? Religious? Etc. Good news is that Bruges seems to have something for everyone. Good luck and enjoy your short stay.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

From experience, I think you'll be able to see quite a bit in 6 hours. I suppose it depends on what type of 'traveler' you are (do you prefer historic sights, food, walking, relaxing, etc.), but you're definitely on the right track with chocolate! I spent just a few short days in Bruges, but I think you'll be able to have a great experience in half a day.

• SEE THE OLD TOWN - start off in the Markt, the central square, and work your way out from there. The architecture is lovely (think gingerbread), window displays are very pretty, and there are many shops for artisan goods, clothing, and gifts if you're interested in shopping.

• EAT CHOCOLATE - this really should be at the top of the list, but your best bet is to start central and work your way out from the Markt. For a great list of places check out our post on tasting chocolates in Bruges >> cameraandcarryon.com/2014/… >> We went to over a dozen chocolateries, bought a few from each shop, and had our very own tasting. Even if you just try a bite or two, you MUST indulge in these amazing treats. It's what Belgium is known for, and for good reason.

• GET LOST - Don't be afraid to wander a little and lose your way. Bruges is quite small, so you'll never be too far from the train station or center of town. Wander along some of the canals for a little quiet and a glimpse off the beaten path.

I hope you have a wonderful trip! Bruges is a really sweet town and even in 6 hours, you'll get a great sense for its beauty and individuality.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

OH! I almost forgot... another thing to add to that is...

• EAT (REAL) FOOD - When another square of chocolate just won't cut it, head to one of these restaurants for a bite: Ribs 'n Beer (go for the beer & chocolate ribs -- trust me on this) or De Bottelier (slightly more 'upmarket' and the atmosphere is intimate and romantic).

Enjoy ;)

Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

Just made reservations for Rib 'n Beer. Thanks for the recommendation based on personal experience.

Boston...
Level Contributor
3 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

Enjoy!!!!

9. Re: What to do in Bruges in only 6 hours?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:16