We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Which Bruges hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

We will be staying in Bruges for four days and we would like to do some day trips into Brussels Ghent etc. Should we just purchase those the day of at the train station? Any idea on costs?

Thank you!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Assuming that this is before the end of July and that none of those covered by "we" are under 26 or over 65:

- Brugge-Ghent: €6.50 one way, €13 return on weekdays, €7.40 return Sat/Sun (weekend ticket)

- Brugge-Brussels: €14.10 one way, €28.20 return on weekdays, €15.20 return Sat/Sun (weekend ticket)

Price is the same whenever and however you buy tickets, if you buy in advance (whether at the station or online from www.belgianrail.be), make sure to specify the date of travel correctly: because you can take any train on the route in question on the date concerned - it's not possible to reserve for a specific departure - but you can't change the date.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Can I ask why it matters if its before the end of July? I looked at our trips the other day with earlier dates just to get an idea as to whether the 10journey pass would be better for us or just point to point but we arrive on July 31st (staying til August 6th). Will the schedules and prices change at the end of July?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

I actually meant end of June, and the reason is that Belgian Railways offers "summer deal" fares for travel on WEEKDAYS from end-June to end-August (last year dates were 24/6 till 30/8), which is the summer holiday period here.

The difference it makes knowing that "we would like to do some day trips" refers, not to current dates but to the period 31/7 - 6/8 (if this were the case for the OP!) - apart from this confirming that this stay includes a weekend, 2-3/8, so weekend ticket rates are relevant - is that instead of listing all the prices for Brugge-Brussels, I would have just referred to the "summer deal" ticket which, if the price is the same as last year, costs €7.50 each way. In which case you can do a return trip (Brugge-Brussels-Brugge) for €15 on weekdays (and still €15.20 on Sat/Sun, using the weekend ticket). If doing exactly the same trips as the OP here, note that as the standard price for Ghent is lower than that of the summer ticket anyway, it makes no difference there - they will always sell you the lowest rate available.

The "summer deal" fare is a flat-rate to/from anywhere in Belgium (except Brussels Airport) and as it is not announced all that long before it comes into effect, it won't appear if you do a search on belgianrail now, whether you use current dates or (given that you can only purchase tickets 1 month in advance) any date over the next month.

When asking train ticket price questions, for an accurate and complete answer it really is essential to specify the date or at least rough period of travel + day of the week: in addition to the "summer deal" ticket, there are other special fares in December and January. And when this is for a group ("we"), you should mention it if there are any children, youths and/or seniors. No-one is going to list every single price that would be available for every possible circumstance, so if you don't provide this information you will just be given the standard (adult) single and return prices that are available year-round. And if asking specifically in order to determine whether or not Rail Pass is cheaper - this is rarely the case in July and August, because the price per journey with Rail Pass is €7.60, whereas with summer deal it is (or was) €7.50.

Edited: 09 May 2014, 16:58
Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Thank you so much for your help!! We are actually both 25 and we will be traveling in the next two weeks! I appreciate the information!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

It would have been really useful to mention that in the first place, because those under 26 can purchase (though only online or from ticket machines, not from ticket windows at stations) Go-Pass 1 fares for €6: belgianrail.be/en/…go-pass-1.aspx

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Thank you qaminari. I appreciate the detailed response. When doing the calculations myself I had done the different calculations for the children and senior as well. I was just a bit thrown when you mentioned July. I was thinking that trains could be greatly reduced and ticket prices increased. Its good to know prices will be lower. I had already determined that with our group, the 10journey pass was more expensive than the point to point tickets. That will obviously be the case in the summer as well.

One question related to the summer tickets, do they have a timeframe for the discount where one must travel after 9:00 or 9:30am like the weekday seniors tickets?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,854 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

No, but like seniors tickets they only apply on weekdays, including public holidays. These are last year's conditions: http://www.belgianrail.be/travel-tickets/tickets/~/media/1950EC6BC2AF4E268C47E60B6A4F0B65.ashx

I don't recall anyone asking about timetables (as opposed to cost) but they don't vary all that much throughout the year: Saturday and Sunday timetables (which in some cases means no trains) are different from the weekday timetable all year round. However, some stations (e.g. Zeebrugge-Strand) only operate during the summer and I think there may be some extra services to and from the coast - which also benefit Ghent and Brugge as they are on the line between Brussels and Oostende/Knokke/Blankenberge.

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Thank you :-)

Sorry OP. I feel that I've hijacked your thread.

Leeds, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

<I had already determined that with our group, the 10journey pass was more expensive than the point to point tickets>

Well, that depends. A 10journey pass for under 26 is just €51 (its called Go-pass 10). I'm assuming you're 2 people, so you would just have to make 5 (oneway) trips for it to be a lot cheaper. If you will not be able to fill the 10 journeys, I agree with qaminari that you should look into the Go-pass 1 which is just €6. Both of these options are cheaper than the summer tickets. The only reason not to opt for the under 26 fare is if the Original price for the journey is cheaper (this can happen over small distances) or if the weekendticket (usually about half price) is cheaper.

It's always interesting to be prepared: I recall an incident with a friend when she bought the Christmas deal thinking she saved some money, while I paid less for the journey by just buying a normal weekendticket.

To determine what would be the cheapest, I find the ticket finder on the official site quite helpfull: belgianrail.be/en/travel-tickets/which-is-th…

Just choose once to check the normal prices for tickets (this will include weekendtickets, the go-pass 1 and the summer deal), and add everything up. Then you can decide whether or not it's interesting to look in to the go-pass 10.

However, as already stated, you will not be able to use this tool for july or august yet.

Edited: 19 May 2014, 03:40
South Shields...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train prices from Bruges to Ghent and Brussels?

Is Brugges to Waterloo Battlefield station classed as 1 trip?