We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Inverclyde
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel recommendation or Apartment

We're going to Bruges in September and are looking either for an apartment (modern and spacious hopefully) with 2 bedrooms (one must have twin beds for our adult sons who are coming with us to celebrate their Dad's special birthday and they have not been on holiday with us since they were teenagers so we want to make it special) or a hotel. Which hotels have people been to which they would recommend which are:

a) Within walking distance of the train station

b) Modern and spacious as I am not so keen on old fashioned hotels. I love the old buildings but not old fashioned furniture.

c) Good breakfasts (we will eat out for evening dinner)

We're going early September. Many thanks in advance for any replies I might receive.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Hi,

Hotels and/or apartments - will depend on what is acceptable to you really:

A) Brugge is a small city so pretty much anything that is within the city is walking distance from the train station. As a guide, if you look at a map (or Google maps/Earth) walking from the train station to Mark't (the centre of Brugge) is a pleasant 25 minute stroll past a lake (Lake of Love) and some wonderful buildings. Or 10-15 minutes at a reasonable walking pace. So, it should be easy to find a hotel to fulfil this criteria. Assuming this length of walk is acceptable to you. Alternatively you can take a bus from right outside the train station to Mark't from stand #1, any bus marked Centruum.

B) Modern and Spacious is a little more complicated. Brugge is a medieval city so there are ALOT of old buildings and the ones that are not so old tend to be built sympathetically with their surroundings. This doesn't mean that they can't be modern inside of course but by modern here IME I mean plush or newly fitted out rather than contemporary. A lot will depend upon budget as far as space and facilities are concerned.

C) Won't be a problem!

Take a look at the TA list for hotels that other people have recommended tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g188671-Bruges_West… this might give you some ideas of places.

Personally I would recommend Hotel Casselbergh www.grandhotelcasselbergh.com/index.asp… I think it ticks all the boxes (depedning on your version of modern - Belgiums answer to The Shard it ain't) i've been going to Brugge for years now and this place ticks the boxes for me. There's other hotels that belong to the same group also and you can find links to those bottom left from the link i've given above. I've stayed in a couple of the hotels (Aragon and Casselbergh) and both were fine, so i'd like to think i'd not be to surprised at what I got if I stayed at one of the others in the group. Casselbergh is my preference these days but for many years I stayed happily at the Aragon. The Dukes Palace is the newest addition to the group. Previously this was the Kepminiski it was the only 5* hotel in Brugge.

Enjoy your trip

Rob

Edited: 31 July 2014, 08:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
304 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

AirBnb is good for independently owned properties. (the app is great, but the site is rubbish). They all have multiple pictures of the property along with details of the location and a map.

For hotels - I normally just run them through a hotel site (eg:Expedia) then research the ones within my budget on Trip Advisor.

Inverclyde
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Hi Rob - My apologies if I've already replied to you but I think I probably haven't as I was running out of time before we recently went for a family visit up north. Many many thanks for all the information you gave me. I've copied the info to build some notes for Bruges.

I was taking so long to choose a hotel and the Grand Hotel Casselbergh was the name which kept coming up so I decided to push the boat out and just book that one. It was a little bit above what I had decided was my maximum but I went through Topcashback and got a good amount back through e-bookers (well I hopefully will once it shows up, all going well) so that way it brought the cost down a bit. It looks a lovely hotel. If you have any further tips you can give me about the hotel or Bruges, I would very much appreciate that.

We're travelling by train to Hull and just wondered how long it takes to disembark on the return journey at Hull so that I know which train to book to head home. I phoned P&O today but the person I spoke to did not know Hull and was not very good at answering my questions. She just told me that she had no idea how long it would take to disembark! I was only looking for a rough estimate so that I could book my trains. I would have thought they could make a phone call to find that out. She also could not give me a telephone number for the ferry port in Hull as she said they were not allowed to pass the number out. Very strange not to be helpful.

Many thanks again for taking the time to pass on the information above to me. I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes

Eileen

Inverclyde
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Hi - Many thanks for the information. I got booked up okay.

Best wishes.

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Hi,

Glad you managed to get something sorted to your satisfaction :-) you won't go wrong with Casselbergh, it's a really nice hotel. I've stayed there a couple of times now and have a return trip booked for December.

Do try the hotel bar for a pre-dinner drink. it's a really nice area and the drinks prices I thought were very reasonable in comparison to elsewhere. Not like most hotel bars!

For eating and drinking in and around Bruges it's generally a good rule to keep away from the main tourist squares, even by only a few meters and generally the differential between cost and quality is a lot less. The exception to that rule is IMHO Cafe Craenenbourg on Mark't http://www.craenenburg.be/ you will pay a bit more here for food or a drink but I think it's worth it. The food for lunches for example is excellent and plentiful is not a little more expensive than other options. Also for lunches and better value try Bistro De Schilder http://www.bistrodeschilder.be/ i've threatened to have an evening meal here but not got around to it yet!

For dinner, my absolute all time favorite is Au Petit Grand http://www.aupetitgrand.be/

Cambrinus is good for beer, lunch or dinner but this place gets busy so it's well worth making a reservation, even for lunch. http://www.cambrinus.eu/english.htm

If you can get a seat, the best bar in Bruges is Staminee De Garre http://www.degarre.be/ you can get lunch here too.. ham/cheese sandwich or pate that type of thing.

If there's anything in particular you want to know, ask away, if I can't answer I am sure the experts on here will be able to.

Have a great time

Rob

Inverclyde
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Thank you so much, Rob, for taking the time to give me all that information. I've printed it off so it will be very useful when we are there. Off to Bruges this coming Saturday and really looking forward to it.

One last question: We will possibly just take a bus from stand #1 to Mark't as you suggested. Does the driver shout out when we reach there or is it a large square which we'd realise anyway? From there, how far is the Grand Hotel Casselbergh and is it visible from here or which street do we head down?

Thanks very much once again for your help. Very much appreciated!

Cheers.

Eileen

Edited: 05 September 2014, 01:17
Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Hi again,

It's always nice to know the information is proving to be useful :-)

Trust me, you will know when you get to Mark't it's a good sized square with some very grand buildings on it including the belfry tower on the one side which you cannot miss and the provincial court on another as well as lots of cafe's and restaurants (to avoid - except Craenenburg!). There's some pictures here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markt_(Bruges).

The bus stop is on Markt right in front of the Provincial Court buildings (and the Historium attraction). From there, face the belfry tower and you will see a street running down the left side of the belfry (Wollestraat) walk towards that street. As you come to the corner of Markt and before going onto Wollestraat (you will see a Delvaux store) there's a pedestrian street on the left (Briedelstraat - https://www.google.co.uk/#q=breidelstraat+bruges). Walk down this street and it will take you onto Burg square. Keep walking straight ahead towards the Crown Plaza hotel. The street that runs to the right of this hotel is Hoogstraat and Casselbergh is about 50 meters down on the right.

Total time to walk the route I have mentioned is < 5 mins.

Have a great time.

Rob

Edited: 05 September 2014, 08:03
Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

You can follow the route described by N8RJG on Google Street View:

http://tinyurl.com/l25xvb4

http://tinyurl.com/lyjq4v4

Inverclyde
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Thanks again, Rob. I've just 'walked' the route with Google maps. Wonderful help. Very much appreciated once again.

Best wishes.

Eileen

Inverclyde
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel recommendation or Apartment

Thanks very much Colin. I've just familiarised myself with the route. Many thanks for taking the time to help.

Best wishes

Eileen