We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 to 7 days in Belgium for our honeymoon

Savage Harbour...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
6 to 7 days in Belgium for our honeymoon

So we have about a week in September (2015) to spend in Belgium. I really want to know where to spend it. Was planning on doing 3 days in Brussels then 4 in Brugge. Now I've read up on Ghent. We aren't thriving for a nightlife atmosphere but don't want to be in bed by 10 either lol. Should we cut out Brussels? Or is 2 nights in each of the three good enough?

Cheers

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 to 7 days in Belgium for our honeymoon

Hi,

A couple of nights in each place would give you opportunity to get a feel for all three cities if that's what you fancy doing. It would also be possible to stay in one of the cities and travel by train to the others. Brussels is just an hour by train (2 trains an hour) from Bruges and Ghent is halfway, roughly, between the two. Rail network is good and reliable IME.

I guess if your onward travel plans involve a flight from BRU it may make it easier for you to stay your final night in Brussels? Again though train links are good to get to the airport from any of the cities you mention.

I've visited all three cities and for me Bruges in the one I keep returning too (at least once a year for well over 10 years now). All three have cafe's and bars which should have the nightlife side of things adequately sorted. Brussels, for me, Grand Place aside could be any other capital city. Ghent is a nice place and has more of a city/working/student feel to it than Bruges. There's some really beautiful buildings and also of course castle. Bruges, for me has a nice mix of everything. Plenty of shopping to be done, if you like that sort of thing, loads of amazing history and architecture and although there's plenty of daytime tourists still has a much more relaxed feel for me than Ghent or Brussels.

Obviously it's subjective and others will have their own favourites but I would stay in Bruges and visit the others by train, unless you particularly want to experience the nightlife in the other places or it suits better for your onward travel. Or maybe split it between two of the cities... that way with only a few days you won't be spending to much time hauling your luggage around, especially with all three cities being easily accessible to each other.

Enjoy

Rob

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 to 7 days in Belgium for our honeymoon

<Out of edit time>

For me Bruges is a real joy in the evenings when the day tourists have departed and all the buildings are lit. No matter how many times i've visited over the years I still stand in awe of the beautiful buildings and the Belfry tower.

Cheers

Rob

3. Re: 6 to 7 days in Belgium for our honeymoon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2015, 06:16