We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
41 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

Hi I am visiting Brussels and want to stay one night there then head off to Ostend for 2 nights then off to Bruge for a night then back to Brussels airport, Any advice would be appreciated

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

I'm not sure what advice you are looking for, but if it's train times/fares, I can only suggest you look up www.belgianrail.be as you don't provide the necessary information (age, date of travel or at least day of the week...) for anyone else to do it without a lot of "ifs" and "buts".

Station names are Bruxelles-central (or other Brussels station), Oostende, Brugge and Brussel-Nat-Luchthaven.

Although you don't mention it, if you are also travelling from Brussels Airport into Brussels (as you say you would be going "back to Brussels Airport" from Brugge), that costs €8.50 - in this case, irrespective of age, etc..

Edited: 19 May 2014, 18:05
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
41 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

Thanks for your help, we are travelling on Friday 25th July and returning on Tuesday 29th we are both young at heart pensioners. I have booked a hotel for one night in Brussels and would like to stay in Ostend on the Saturday and maybe Sunday then travel to Bruge for one night before we return to Brussels airport for our flight back to the UK

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

Now "I" has changed into "we", without any indication of how many people that might be!

You still don't mention your actual (or even rough) age, so I can only say that Seniors Tickets (€6) are available for those aged 65+, whether or not they are pensioners, but at your dates, only on WEEKDAYS. Anyone who is not yet 65 will - whether or not they are pensioners - have to pay the standard fare: except that as you have specified that this will be in July, "summer deal" tickets should be available then for travel on WEEKDAYS. Last year, these cost €7.50 to/from anywhere in Belgium - except Brussels Airport for which there is a supplement of €5. Fares would therefore be as follows:

1. FRIDAY 25/7: From Brussels Airport into Brussels, you should buy standard tickets at €8.50 (cheaper than either of the other fares given that those would then require purchase of a separate Diabolo ticket for €5). Trains leave every 15-20 mins and take about 20 mins, calling at Bruxelles-Nord, Bruxelles-Central and Bruxelles-Midi.

2. SATURDAY 26/7: For Brussels (whichever station) to Oostende, you would have to pay the standard single price of €16.80 - "summer deal" not being available at weekends, and Seniors Tickets also excluded then between mid-July and mid-August. Trains depart the 3 stations already mentioned, in the same order, at least twice-hourly, e.g. from Bruxelles-central at 24 and 59 mins past each hour, and take 1h32 from there to Oostende.

3. MONDAY 28/7: For Oostende to Brugge, the standard single price of €4.10 is cheaper than either seniors or summer deal ticket. On that date, there are 3 trains an hour, at 01, 10 and 45 mins past each hour, and they take 14 mins.

4. TUESDAY 29/7: For Brugge to Brussels Airport, over-65s can use €6 Seniors Ticket plus €5 Diabolo ticket which you must buy at the same time (total €11 per person), others can use summer deal ticket plus €5 Diabolo fee, total probably €12.50 - or there could be specific "summer deal" airport fare of around €13 (still a good buy compared with the standard single fare Brugge-BRU of €20.60). There are 2 departures an hour from Brugge to Brussels where you have to change for BRU.

Just in case, I would note that this is taking "Brussels Airport" at face value, so assuming that you are indeed arriving at and departing from BRU and not CRL (= Charleroi Airport, aka "Brussels-South").

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,960 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

Sorry I see you said "both", so presumably there are 2 of you - reason for interest in the number is that if you were a larger group and making enough trips at weekends on which concessionary rates don't apply, you might have had a use for Belgian Railways' 10-trip Rail Pass (€76, i.e. €7.60 per trip).

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
41 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

thanks again for all your information which is of great help. My husband i s 65 so he will benefit for cheaper fair but i'm 64 so will not. we are indeed flying into BRU. and also to know that we have to change trains in Brussels

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

The only advice I would add is to ensure that you have accommodation booked in Oostende. It is likely to be at a premium at a peak summer weekend and, if the weather should be superb (and it does happen), the resort will probably be booked out.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
41 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

Thanks we have a hotel provisionaly booked for two nights but may increase it to three and just do a day trip to Bruge.

8. Re: trains fom Brussels to Ostend Ostend to Bruge and Bruge back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 11:22
Get answers to your questions about Ostend
Recent Conversations