We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ypres and the Somme

Which Ieper (Ypres) hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Ypres and the Somme

Hello

I am planning a battlefield tour of Ypres and the Somme for early next year. So far everything regarding Ypres is falling into place re accommodation, tours, transport from Brussels etc. Can anyone tell me would it be possible (and comfortable) to explore the Somme area while staying in Ypres or would it be better to stay somewhere else? If there is a better base area could you recommend good accommodation there? Also, I am looking at Salient Tours or Flanders Battlefield Tours for Ypres...I think they do tours of the Somme too? Or would there be another company nearer to the Somme area if we were to change accommodation? A final question, is there a high / low season for such a trip, for instance could we go at a time when there would be difficulties getting a tour? I'm thinking about going in April or May. Please excuse my ignorance on all these points, I am planning this trip for my husband's birthday and I don't know much about how to start organising such a trip. I plan on spending about 4-5 days on the trip altogether. Thanks in advance for your help!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
31,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ypres and the Somme

The Somme is in France, but this company does tours from Ypres/Ieper: www.overthetoptours.be/Australians1918.htm (you'll see they also offer an Irish tour of Ypres).

Also this one, again aimed at ANZAC, see http://www.visit-ypres.be/anzac-tours.htm

Or you can do it from here: battlefield-tours.com/Hotel_le_macassar.htm

Or if you wanted to drive yourself, you could stay in Amiens and work out your own tour, see Amiens cwould probably be a good base if you want to explore from there, see

visit-somme.co.uk/somme_tourisme/decouvrez/g…

somme-battlefields.com/en/…circuit.aspx

Ireland
Level Contributor
28 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ypres and the Somme

Thanks for those recommendations, Amiens as a base sounds good, like the idea of being free to take each day as it comes and do our own itinerary.

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
304 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ypres and the Somme

Hi! Doing your own thing is fine but we could reccomend taking a guided tour and then exploring more on your own after ! we did this with our Ypres tour and the info on the tour made our own trips more relevant afterwards !

http://www.ypres-fbt.be/

we used the above tour guides and cannot praise them enough !

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ypres and the Somme

Hello

i am just beginning to plan our trip to the Somme for 2009. We will be going towards the end of June.

I read, with interest, your request and wondered if you had received any replies?

Initially my husband and I thought Lille would be an ideal place to base ourselves but I can't seem to find much in the way of accomodation. That is why i thought I would check out Ypres.

I would be interested to hear how plans for your trip are going.

Sincerely

Diane Lester

Melbourne, Victoria

East Worldham...
Level Contributor
372 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ypres and the Somme

if you are going to hire a car then lille is as good a place as any to get to Ieper and the Somme area in France

there are plenty of hotels to suit each taste and budget

the best is hermitage gantois but the novotel centre grand place is newly renovated and an adequate city centre hotel

Vlamertinge, Belgium
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ypres and the Somme

Brussels is a bit far out if you are wanting to do the battlefields of the Salient and Somme, good for Waterloo.

Its best to stay in Ieper for the battlefields and FBT and Over the top do tours of the Salient and day tours Somme/Vimy Ridge and Arras they are excellent. Much better to do a tour if you are unsure of where to go.

If you wanted to stay on the Somme the best place would be Les Alouttes B&B near to Albert, Vic and Diane also do tours from there for the Somme and you would need to book early as they get very busy with accommodation and tours. 0033 (0)322 851456

April is a very busy month due to Anzac Commerations so need to book early.

End of June is a no, no as its Rally time in Ieper and there are no tours as Rally takes over and you would not see Ieper for what it is.

May 9th/10th is the weekend of the Cat Festival which is brilliant and well worth coming too. Book early.

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ypres and the Somme

thanks so much for this information.

We were not aware of the RAlly in Ypres so that certainly helps with our planning.

Our trip will be end at the end of June. We fly into Amsterdam and after spending a few days there thought we'd make our way to Northern France to investigate the WW1 Battlefields. So it looks like Lille could be sensible for us to stay. There will be three of us travelling so we'll be looking for an apartment. Can anyone recommend one in Lille or close by? I think to do this are we will hire a car to get around.

UHants UK
Level Contributor
56 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ypres and the Somme

Hi

We have been to the WW1 battlefields for the last 3 years. THe Somme is well to the South of Ypres and would mean a long drive there and back. Better to have a couple of days or so in Ypres (see my review of the Old Tom) and then a couple of days in Amiens. Lille is a big industrial town and not very attractive, whilst Ypres and Amiens have a lot more going for them. Remember that Northern France is closed on Sundays and any public holiday. Ypres and Amiens do have resturants and cafes that stay open, but in the countryside (and Lille!) eveything is shut including petrol stations. Also the smaller Tourist Information bureau are only open for a limited time on Sundays. I haven't used an organised tour, prefering to do my own research, but they are most likely a good idea if you want the responsibilty lifted off your shoulders! If I can help at all please get back to me. Paul

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ypres and the Somme

Thanks for this information Paul. I found it useful. Particularly about Lille being shut down on Sundays!!We fly into Amsterdam and spend some time there before heading down to Northern France. We were thinking about a week in Northern France to explore the WW1 battlefields and other areas and then head to Paris for a week. LIke you, we would prefer to do our own thing rather than booking a tour so probably will travel via train where possible and hire a car where necessary.

We will be travelling between end of June/early July.From Australia we have to allow quite a bit of time each way in aeroplanes!

What do you find most fascinating in this region of the battlefields? I know I'm looking forward to visiting Fromelle and Villiers-Bret...

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ypres and the Somme

When in Ieper, you must visit Tynecot Cemetary (just outside Ieper) and the museum in Passchendale. Both not to be missed. And look out for various small cemetaries immaculately maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commisssion.

Get answers to your questions about Ieper (Ypres)