We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lille to Ypres

Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Lille to Ypres

Hello, I am looking to do a daytrip from Lille to Ypres by rail? Can Ypres be done in a day and what would be the best options for getting there?

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Ieper (Ypres)
Ieper (Ypres)
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Roeselare, Belgium
Level Contributor
227 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lille to Ypres

hi Alycia,

For Lille-Ypres by train you have to change at Kortrijk staion and take there a train to Ypres.

Ypres is a small city and can be done in 1 day

For more info on Ypres: www.ieper.be (also in english) tours: www.ypres-fbt.be

Hope this help a bit,have a nice trip

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
339 posts
1,329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lille to Ypres

>"For Lille-Ypres by train you have to change at Kortrijk staion and take there a train to Ypres.

Ypres is a small city and can be done in 1 day

For more info on Ypres: www.ieper.be (also in english) tours: www.ypres-fbt.be"

I've been trying to work out via the forum the possibility of this train journey. Using www.b-rail.be I have been able to get as far as finding a train, but I cannot find out the price of an adult ticket. Does anyone know the cost of this ticket and where I might find it on that website please. Also the www.ieper.be website does not work?

Is there only one train station in Lille?

Your help is appreciated. K

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lille to Ypres

1) You won't find prices for travel outside Belgium on the B-Rail site unless, possibly, you do a test purchase - but I don't see how you can do that either as you can hardly pick up tickets at a Belgian station when you are starting your journey in France! You could try the SNCF (French Railways) site, but as you can't actually book a seat anyway on these trains, and they are not cheaper if you buy in advance, you might just as well buy your ticket at the station on the day of travel.

I can tell you that a single ticket from Kortrijk to Ieper costs €4.80 and from Mouscron (first stop in Belgium on the line from Lille to Kortrijk) to Ieper, €6.60; so I would guess that from Lille to Ieper it should cost about €10-12.

2) There are 2 railway stations in Lille, Lille-Europe for Eurostar to Brussels/London and TGVs to Paris; and Lille-Flandres for local trains and IC trains to Kortrijk (Courtrai in French: final destination of these trains is Antwerp - Anvers in French). They are not far from each other.

Mentioned in this post
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
France
France
Europe
Kortrijk
Kortrijk
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Ieper (Ypres)
Ieper (Ypres)
Europe
Europe
World
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
London
London
England, UK
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Antwerp
Antwerp
Antwerp Province, Belgium
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
339 posts
1,329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lille to Ypres

gaminari,

Thankyou very much for this information, I will check the France forum for any discussions on the connection from Lille. K

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
35,952 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lille to Ypres

I forgot to mention, the B-Rail site has (at least) one peculiarity which is that if you click "buy online", and select your stations of departure and destination and time, for "premium" (Eurostar, TGV) trains it will display the price, e.g. €26 for Brussels to Lille-Europe but for ordinary trains it will only do this at the next stage: and to get to the next stage it requires you to have registered with the site as a potential purchaser. Since I am not registered (I buy my tickets at the station), this means I can't do a test purchase for you e.g. Ieper to Lille-Flandres, which should be the same price.

However, I don't understand what information you need about connections from Lille. You already have the information on trains from there to Ieper, and you didn't say you were connecting from anywhere else. If you want a more precise price, you will either have to try the French Railways site or you could always register with the B-Rail (click "buy online" making sure you are in the international section).

Mentioned in this post
TGV
TGV
1,293 Reviews
Paris, France
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Europe
Europe
World
Ieper (Ypres)
Ieper (Ypres)
6. Re: Lille to Ypres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Ieper (Ypres)