We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dinner before or after Last Post ceremony?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
dinner before or after Last Post ceremony?

We will be in Ieper for 2 nights in January. Current plans are:

Monday 14th Jan - later afternoon arrival (train from Cologne) wander round town to get our bearings

Tuesday 15th Jan full day visiting some WW1 sites that have significance to both our families - including the NZ Memorial at the British New Buttes Ceremony to find my gt uncle's name, and lunch at Anzac Rest. I've booked a private/custom tour because many of the sites that regular tours visit have no personal connection for us.

Wednesday 16th Jan - explore a bit more of the town return to Cologne (mid day train)

We want to attend the Last Post ceremony - but don't think we would bo both nights. Are either 14th or 15th likely to be more/less crowded, special dates (to go)?

Should we have dinner before or after? Are there plenty of restaurants open for an 8.30pm dinner? or should we have a meal before the ceremony? The 15th is my birthday so we would prefer something a bit leisurely rather than having to rush to be finished by 7.50pm.

many thanks in advance

helen

Tonbridge, England
Level Contributor
42 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dinner before or after Last Post ceremony?

If you have a look at the calendar on the website

www.lastpost.be

nearer the time, this will tell you if there are any particular ceremonies taking place on either of those two days (nothing showing at the moment).

We ate after our visit to the ceremony, and that is what I would recommend - you shouldn't have any problem finding somewhere to eat at that time. As it is January, it's possible that some restaurants might be closed (particularly on the Monday) so you might want to keep an eye open during your Monday afternoon wander round the town to find somewhere you like the look of and, perhaps, book a table to be on the safe side.

Plenty of recommendations on Trip Advisor!.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dinner before or after Last Post ceremony?

thanks Trafalgar,

good tip about the Monday closures .. will keep an eye out when we arrive.

I guess it would be ideal if there was something special (ceremony wise) on the Monday then we could have a more leisurely birthday dinner on the Tuesday. Will check out the reviews again... it will be a memorable birthday regardless of where we eat and as long as I can have a glass of wine and hubby can have a beer with dinner we're pretty easy to satisfy in the food department.

cheers

helen

London, England
Level Contributor
8,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dinner before or after Last Post ceremony?

We went to Ypres in April this year and attended the ceremony at the Menin Gate. It was a moving experience.

We had dinner after the ceremony and had no problem in finding a restaurant.

4. Re: dinner before or after Last Post ceremony?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Ieper (Ypres)