We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

January in Galveston

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
January in Galveston

My daughter and I live 5 hours from Galveston. We visited there over the summer and love it! My birthday is in January and I'd like to go back for a long weekend trip...is Galveston too cold in January? Obviously - we will not be swimming, but we would like to walk on the beach with our dogs...just wondering if it would be worth the trip to spend a little time outdoors...

knr
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,070 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: January in Galveston

It really depends on the weather THAT weekend. Sometimes it can be freezing, sometimes it is shorts weather. One day may be cold, the next warm.

Everything is open though, so you will not find a shortage of things to do.

Happy Birthday!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: January in Galveston

Travel in the winter is a gamble. I was suppose to go to Grapevine to see the Christmas decor at the Gaylord Texan 12/6/13 and I saw on 12/3 that ice was coming to Dallas and had to cancel. It's 12/9 and as you know, you have been iced in for days. I'm in Austin and wind chills have been 8 degrees.

Just book a room that allows for 1-2 prior cancellation. Then if another front comes down you can cancel if it's a bad one.

Texas weather is all about the cold fronts. Shorts one day and coats a few days later.

Galveston involves a lot of hopping in and out of the car because lot's of the sightseeing venues are spread out. It's a bummer to do that on a cold or chilly dreary day. Plus it's fun to incorporate the Kemah Boardwalk in your trip and that is 100% out in the elements uncovered to walk around.

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com

Just my 2 cents!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: January in Galveston

I doubt that you'll even need hotel reservations in advance for Galveston during January, so what I'd do is to check the weather, and if it's to your liking, call to make a reservation for the next day. They should be easy to find at almost any hotel. Usually the weather is mild enough to walk the beaches and the strand without any problems.

Unlike Georgetowngal, I'm not a fan of Kemah, but if your daughter is young, she might enjoy it. To me, it's really oriented toward the kids, but now you've got 4 cents!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
190 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: January in Galveston

I love the winters in Galveston! The tourists have gone home and the winter shells are washing in! I actually found a finger starfish a few weeks ago! Never, ever, have I found a starfish here, just sand dollars and shark's teeth! If you want wide open beaches to drive on and walk the dogs, come down to the west end near San Louis Pass. The water tower is on the right and the turn in to the beach is on the left. Sea Isle has a sports bar under the marina that allows you to bring your dog if on a leash. The food is great! Yaga's allows dogs outside (on the Strand.) If you want good gumbo to warm yourself up - stop by the Gumbo Bar near the Strand. I think you will have fun, just bring layers of clothes - our weather is crazy!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: January in Galveston

Thank you all so much or your replies! Texas weather is so unpredictable...I live in Dallas and we were iced in for 3 days...the roads are still awful in places...and it was 19 degrees this morning. I think I'm going to chance it and just plan on coming down that weekend...I need to book ahead because of the dogs...I found a cute little place that is only 1 block from the water...Again - thanks so much for your help!!

6. Re: January in Galveston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Galveston Island
More Galveston Island Topics