We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patio Beach Club

Which Akbuk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Warminster, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Patio Beach Club

Hi, we have just booked a week here starting 21st September. Does anyone have any tips for me, either about the hotel or Akbuk in general? We have arranged a shuttle transfer from Bodrum Airport and I have read different transfer times varying from 3/4 hr to 2 hrs. Other than waiting for other passengers, please tell me it won't take 2 hrs! Not until after I'd booked the holiday and was looking at the website photo's again did I notice that there don't seem to be any umbrellas by the sunbeds. Is this really so? Might have a lonely holiday if that is the case - him indoors is a sun worshipper, but I can only do little spurts of sun and then it's shade for me, so he might end up lounging by the pool and I'll be hiding by a tree somewhere, lol. Is it easy to walk into Akbuk from the hotel; I can't walk far in the heat and could you tell me which restaurants are at that end of Akbuk. I think it's possible to walk along the beach and approach Akbuk from the harbour end. Otherwise, can we pick up a dolmus near the hotel and whereabouts does it drop off in Akbuk? One last question. I'm one of those people who seem to suffer from Turkish Tummy and I've had it quite bad on a couple of occasions (this is our 4th visit to Turkey). I was told off by a Turkish chemist for taking Immodium, because it masks the symptoms, so does anyone have any advice or tips there? Can't wait now, only 7 weeks to go.

9 replies to this topic
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patio Beach Club

The hotel is known locally for being a French hotel, although guests come from all over now. You can walk into Akbuk but the road is narrow and you would need to take a lot of care. I drove past a couple of weeks ago and am fairly sure you cannot walk all the way along the beach, although you can go on the beach as you get closer into Akbuk.

Arrive on 21st September you can expect nice weather and should not need to worry too much about sunburn. I hope someone who stayed there can confirm about the umbrellas as I see what you mean about them being none in the photos.

The dolmus if you take one (there may be a long wait sometimes) will drop you in central Akbuk. But you may also like to go all the way to Didim/Altinkum if you are expecting a lively town as Akbuk is on the quiet side. You can buy just about anything you need though and there is a pharmacy, dentist, travel agents and car rental, several medium-sized supermarkets (size similar to most Aldis in the UK) and lots of shops selling beachwear, flip flops, beach balls and that kind of thing. The harbour and beach area is the focus for most restaurants and bars. My favourite is Garden Restaurant which is right on the beach and one of the first restaurants as you enter the town from your hotel.

For the Turkish tummy I have never experienced it. Self catering is often the best way to avoid tummy upsets, My tips: drink bottled water and not fresh juices; keep your hands scrupulously clean and don't touch your mouth/eyes; always wash your hands before eating (or use antibacterial wipes or gel). Hot food should be served piping hot and if it arrives luke warm ask for it to be heated up. Bad hygiene in the kitchen and luke warm food are the most common way for bacteria to develop. If you need hot food to cool down to eat then let that happen in front of you. Avoid salads and fruit without peel if you are not sure the items are fresh and properly prepared. Salad buffets are also a home to bacteria growth if not properly chilled.

If you do get a tummy upset have plenty of liquids and stick to bland food for a couple of days (soup, biscuits and bread). I found Boots' Diareze a miracle cure when had Delhi belly in India and it was ideal/essential before getting on the plane home! I think it is OK to take Immodium for a couple of days but if symptoms persist after you get home then go to the doctor as you may have picked up something more serious.

I love Akbuk and have a house there. I am returning on Wednesday and can't wait! I hope you enjoy your visit.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 07:29
Warminster, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patio Beach Club

Thank you so much for the info Alex. There can't be a higher recommendation for Akbuk, than buying your own house there! I hope you have a lovely time.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patio Beach Club

Thanks. I admit I am more than a little biased.

I will see if I can walk to your hotel as I will be on foot/bicycle/dolmus only for this visit.

I think Akbuk suits most people (couples, singles and families) of all ages apart from partygoers, who will find resorts with nightclubs like Altinkum more to their taste.

Edited: 05 August 2013, 17:11
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patio Beach Club

I was at that end of Akbuk bay a couple of days ago and looks like it is possible to walk along the beach all the way to the Patio Beach Club (there is a foot-bridge at one point).

Warminster, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patio Beach Club

That's great, thanks Alex - 40 days to go!

Warminster, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patio Beach Club

Just found the old name for this hotel - Lookea Marina Beach. There are a number of reviews on Trip Advisor, but all in French, although you can get a fair idea of what is being reported using Google translator. The photo's are all from reviewers too, unlike those for Patio Beach Club, which have been provided by management - probably because the hotel has only opened under this name this season. I was pleased to spot some poolside umbrellas in a few of the old photo's, as none are shown in the management ones. Not long to go now!

Edited: 23 August 2013, 17:39
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patio Beach Club

By the way if you use the Google Chrome browser you can get it to translate automatically rather than pasting into Google Translate. I hope you have a good holiday.

Edited: 25 August 2013, 06:04
Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patio Beach Club

Hi, I'm going there for all incl @ 29 August but your tips were extremally useful. Also I can check the things out for you when I'll be there if you like :)

Birmingham, United...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Patio Beach Club

We have been in 2013 then 2014 last time it has been sold to the Russian.s we have never meet so rude,aggarant,pushing jumping q.s the food is crap the nightly entainment is for turks and Russians but you can walk into akbuk 10 mins dolmus every 20mins into altinkum about £1

Reply to: Patio Beach Club
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Akbuk
Recent Conversations