We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

Sutton in Ashfield...
11 posts
Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

Hi

I live in the UK and need to renew both my Portuguese passport and my ID card.

It is impossible to do this in London so I plan to go to Portugal to do it.

Is it true that I can apply at Lisbon Airport and receive both documents on the same day.

Also in London you usually have to give proof of address in UK. How does this work in Portugal?

I don’t live in Portugal so what documents do I need to take with me from the UK?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Amanda

90 replies to this topic
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

If you understand portuguese this is the info for the passport at the airport https://www.pep.pt/lojas-do-passaporte/

Sutton in Ashfield...
11 posts
2. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t understand Portuguese but maybe I can get it translated

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro, Portugal
Level Contributor
58,699 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

All the paperwork you need to complete will only be in Portuguese.

Start with a site like Google Translate but there will be some words and phrases that might not come out correctly. A proper translation would be a good idea.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
26,109 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

Why can you not get it at the Consulado Geral de Portugal in London? 3, Portland Place London W1B 1HR cglondres@mne.pt

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
11,290 posts
85 reviews
5. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

How do you have a Portuguese ID and passport and not speak Portuguese?? Just curious

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

Why is it impossible to do this is London? If it is distance, try the Consulate in Manchester.In either it would be almost impossible to do in one day as I also think at Lisbon airport. Is your passport/ ID out of date?If so you would not be able to travel to Portugal anyway.

Also curious as to not understanding Portuguese.Portuguese are proud of their language and would be keen to pass it on to their closest relatives.

Sutton in Ashfield...
11 posts
7. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

I guess you don’t know that it is impossible to get an appointment with London.There is a booking system which is open at 4pm every day for only a few minutes. There are so many people trying to book that it freezes.

I have tried many, many times and it is impossible.

It is truly a nightmare and nobody does anything about it.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

I am aware of the uselessness of the Portuguese embassy,when my husband tried to get his renewed.We waited so long we had to travel to London to pick it up.He complained on the phone and asked to speak to the ambassador to complain about the service and they hung up.So I complained again and finally got to speak to his secretary and got an appointment to pick up the passport.This was some years ago and probably it is even worse now.When he needed his new ID we went to Manchester and sat all day till their open appointments started at 3pm I think.That will poss be your only alternative but will get you on the ladder.Portugal is your best alternative,but if your id's expired you can't travel.That would take about 2 weeks.

Sutton in Ashfield...
11 posts
9. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

I was born in Zimbabwe... My mom is Afrikaans and my dad was Portuguese. Mom couldn’t speak Portuguese, dad couldn’t speak Afrikaans. We grew up speaking English as Zimbabwe used to be a British Colony.

Sutton in Ashfield...
11 posts
10. Re: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal

My dad did not teach us Portuguese and my mom was Afrikaans speaking. We grew up in an ex British colony so we spoke English.

Reply to: Portuguese Passport and ID Card renewal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted