We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
26 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

We will be visiting Ferragudo in several weeks. We would like to take a tour to Gibraltar. Can anyone advise us of good local (ie. Algarve) tour companies who provide tours to Gibraltar?

Thanks for your help!

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,791 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

Gibraltar is a long way from Ferragudo.

Probably about 500 to 600km.

The only tours I know off are ones organised at Xmas for the resident Brit Expat Community to do their Xmas shopping. Its just not a destination for locals from the Algarve.

Even with a tour you would need at least to allow 3 days travel.

One out - One there - One back.

Because of the problems between the UK and Spain over GIB I don't even think that there is a bus service between Sevilleand Gib.

Quickest way would be to hire a car and drive.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,896 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

There are a couple of local tour companies who organise tours from the Algarve to Gibraltar two or three times a week. A day trip means leaving at around 6am and not getting back until 9 or 10pm. Some companies offer a two or three day trip including Seville and/or Tangier (Morocco). A hire car would indeed be a lot quciker but there are insurance issues when hiring a car in Portugal for use in Spain and Gib.

As you are in Ferragudo for several weeks you will have time to check out the options available locally but you might have to go into Portimao to visit the agents with the best choices.

Springfield, Ohio
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

Will be staying in Tavria for a few days and would like to go to Gibralter & Seville. IS there a problem renting a car to drive there or would doing a bus tour be easier? Where would I book a bus tour in Tavira?

Thanks,

CC

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,896 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

I am told that a number of car rental firms will not allow their cars to be taken across the border into Spain, let alone Gibraltar. You may have to shop around.

Local tour companies do tours to Gibraltar once or twice a week, but because of the distance they are over two days with a side trip to Seville - not a bad thing in itself!

Two such companies:

Best Day (www.bestday.pt)

Paradise Tours (www.paradise-tour.com)

The latter advertise a trip in the leaflet I have but the web address is down.

I don't know specifically about Tavira, but where I live there are several travel shops etc around town where one can book such trips.

Sorry I cannot help more.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

Most rental companies will only allow you to cross borders if you pay extra, for insurance issues. If you do so, then there is no problem at all and it is straightforward to reach Sevilla or Gibraltar. You can also leave your car on the Spanish side of the Border and walk to Gibraltar, it's small enough.

6. Re: Travel to Gibraltar from Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 20:18