We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental necessary?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
253 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental necessary?

Well we are trying to plan our trip and wondering if we should rent a car for the whole 2 weeks we are there. We are hoping to stay in Cascais and visit different towns in the area. Of course Lisbon will be a day or two and I think I read the buses and train connections are good.

We would also like to visit Sintra, Ericeira, Obidos, Fatima, Sesimbra and maybe a day trip to the Algarve. Would it make sense to have the car for 2 full weeks when many of the towns are close by and may be just as easy to reach by bus or train? Or perhaps rent for one week only and do the farther trips on that week.

Anyone have experience with this? Also, I guess it would depend on the difference in cost. WE had an estimate of 700 Euros for 2 week rental of a van since there are 5 of us. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Olhao, Portugal
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental necessary?

Hello!

If you're planning to spend 2 weeks in Portugal and want to visit more than Lisbon and surroundings (Cascais, Sintra, etc.) you should use public transportation while you're in Lisbon area (you will save time because traffic can be horrific, sometimes! - 3 days should be enough) and then, rent a car and visit the rest of the country. Portugal's a small country, but has a lot to see and offer, so it's a good option to rent a car and decide where to go. You definitely should visit both North and South of the country . If you need more advice on that, just ask!

2. Re: Car rental necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 09:21