We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

security measures in the Porto Airport

Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
security measures in the Porto Airport

This message is for ladies. Try to avoid Porto airport as a departure point. The security measures included a police woman touching (no passing very close as usual) your breasts, your legs till your groin and her hand inside your pants and shouting “keep your arms up”. That was the treatment given to a lady two posts ahead and to my self, 64 years old and a very common feature.

Special Offer
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
757 reviews
from US$90.10*
US$112.60
Sintra and Cascais Tour from Lisbon
1,031 reviews
from US$81.30*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
284 reviews
from US$146.40*
US$162.70
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

Sorry to hear about that but if they did that they had their reasons and suspicions.

This is your first and only post so far in TA: welcome....

What about the rest of your trip? Did you enjoy the city? The hotel? What about the restaurants and sights? Can't wait to read your next posts!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

I'm sorry to hear that you were treated like this. However I must say I have flown out from Porto at least 100 times, maybe 200, and I have never seen anything like what you describe - I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just think you must have been unlucky.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

Welcome to TA!

I work at a Portuguese airport, doing something else, so I've seen a lot...

First of all the lady isn't a policewoman, she works for a security company, the police are right behind her in blue uniform...watching...

Second, you must have set off the "metal detector alarm" when you went through, thats why you were screened.

Third, she's just doing her job, she's supposed to treat everybody the same, regardless of age or "common feature"...

Last but not the least, if you found the treatment was disrespectfull you should have made a written complaint!

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

If people are so stupid to take this post seriously then I think we should leave it on the forum for a laugh.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
519 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

I can understand if this is a joke post, but if it isn't i can't help but reply...

Living in Porto and using the airport many many times in recent months, I can honestly say I have never seen this happen as described. But I can see that some people will indeed avoid the airport because they get the impression the security personnel is too thorough. I can assure you I have not been more "molested" in Porto (from where I fly often) than anywhere else in the world.

PS: what I do see often in Porto and not elsewhere is that foreigners (at least the ladies, since we are split into male and female queues) seem to be oblivious to the past 8 years of heightened security. They leave belts on, jackets on, carry liquids with then in the bags, and then act all surprised when security needs to ask them to take something off or throws their stuff away. Unless they came by boat, they were subjected to the same measure upon departure. I can't figure out why it is mostly foreigners. I rarely see this coming back to Portugal - everyone seems to adhere to the rules and tries not to delay queues.

southern california
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

This was not a laughing matter to the person it happened to, nor should she be diminished for having made only one contribution to TA. It is correct to point out that this was a singular event and not representative of other travellers' experience at the Porto airport. I find the suggestion we keep this post around for laughs appalling.

We all have varied levels of travel experience and TA forum should be respectful of that fact.

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
519 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

I agree with passoporto, and after posting I actually inquired further and realized the original poster has made other non-forum contributions to TA so, this is not a troll, but someone who had an unpleasant experience. I am sorry if my post seems I agree with the suggestion... poor phrasing on my part. What I meant was that I acknowledge we shouldn't feed trolls, and if that had been the case, I was apologizing for doing that, however, I wanted to reassure other readers that I have never witnessed anything like that in Porto. Ever.

And I agree we are all equal, and if the machine beeps, we must expect to be touched. And everyone should understand this has to be relatively thorough otherwise what is the point? (and let's not get into how effective these measures are, since that is another issue). However, given this, it makes sense for people to minimize the risk and remove belts, metals things, wear shoes that don't beep (I have a pair of boots I don't wear when I travel because they have a metal bit which beeps!). Likewise if they expect you to remove your shoes: don't wear socks with holes. And a growing number of people don't do this, delay the lines and then I see them complain in front of me. I understand this is uncomfortable, but it is meant to be for our security.

I am really sorry this lady was made to feel uncomfortable in Porto.

southern california
Level Contributor
154 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

Xanapeg, I thought your comments well reasoned and appropriate. I found Alface's comments patronizing and MoreCheeseGromit's comments highly offensive.

9. Re: security measures in the Porto Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 December 2009, 05:18