We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

My Husband and I are planning a 9 day trip to portugal in late June. I am trying to figure out where to go and spend our time. Thinking of doing 2-3 days in lisbon (with a day trip to Sintra in here) a few days in Caiscas and then possibly lagos (not sure if we should do this). Wasnt sure if it made much sense to go to Porto. What are peoples thoughts? We are 30 and have a modest budget, also would prefer to take public transportation around!

Thanks

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

Hey mlb202:-) If your time spread is 9 days (8 nights?)..think you may have a bit too much on your plate..unfortunately! This is a fantastic Country and IMO, Lisbon alone requires at least 2-3 FULL days..adding a day each for Sintra and Estoril/Cascais..which already takes up half (if not more) than your alloted time! With the remaining 3-4 days..well, it's a toss up..If you're beachers, definetely head down to the Algarve..I loved Porto..fascinating City..but for me, being a sun-worshipper, would opt for the Algarve! Up to you and your prefs..as well as how you travel! For some, a day..or 2..in any major City suffices...I found the City of Lisbon loaded w/sites..things to see/do..and even though I only spent 3-4 days..on 2 seperate occassionals..still feel I haven't done the City right..lol!! I spent time in Cascais which I think is a wonderful place as well! If you could add a few days..all the better..but bottom line, IMO, it's quality over quanitity..priorities rule;-) Happy planning and EnjoY!

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

Thanks so much for your advice! what did you do in lisbon that you felt like you needed more then 3/4 days?

Edited: 29 January 2010, 03:06
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

My pleasure neighbor:-) Well, where to begin..lol!! The *basics* alone from Belem/Jeronimo's, the elevator (de Santa Justa)..to St. George's Castle..take up a couple of days..that's including stopping along the way for a cup of coffee and do some traditional people watching;-) I love to linger/walk around and get lost in the backstreets..loved the areas around Bairo Alto, Baixa, Alfama..even got up one morning and hit the Rebiera(sp?) market and checked out all the produce..fish, etc..it was a unique experience! IMO, 3-4 days will fly by..I'm looking forward to returning again at some point..and this time I'd love to spend a week..just in Lisbon;-) Am sure you'll find it a fascinating City..keep enjoyin'!

Porto, Portugal
Level Contributor
587 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

Hi,

When you say you're visiting in "late June" I'm not sure what exact dates you mean, but If you happen to be in the country on the 23rd of June, then you really should come to Porto to experience St John's Eve - a great festival where everyone takes to the streets and "attacks" one another with plastic hammers, culminating in a spectacular firework show at the iconic D.Luis Bridge at midnight. You'll not forget the experience.

A train from Porto to Lisbon takes three hours and the return journey is less than 40€, so it's perfectly feasible.

While I agree that you could easily spend a week in Lisbon, I would comment that you probably don't need a few days in Cascais as it is pretty much a suburb of Lisbon and can easily be reached without you needing to change accomodation.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Edited: 29 January 2010, 09:47
Guttenberg, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

Make sure you have the 'Pasteis de Belem' (custer cup) they are amazing. The cafe is in Belem near the waterfront. I would go there just for that but the area does have other things to see.

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

I thought Cascais was beachy, similar to lagos (which is why i wasnt sure if i needed to do lagos) so only a day in Cascais is necessary?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

Hey again:-) Cascais..and Estoril..are a quick and fun coastal train ride..taking maybe half an hour! You can go for the day..a morning..afternoon..your call! Easy enough to 'commute' it while basing in Lisbon if you decide you don't want to actually stay there! Keep enjoyin'!

Lisbon
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

I would stay based in Lisbon and would take a day trip to Sintra and Cascais & Estoril (30 minutes from lisbon) and maybe to Obidos. You can get some inspiration and useful tips on Lisbon at www.portugalisbon.com and, on Sintra, at www.portugalsintra.com

Have a nice trip!

évora
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

Hi,

I'm a 28 years old portuguese guy...who works now on the tourism sector, and lived until past year in Cascais.

Yes, go to Lisbon, Estoril/Cascais (one day is enough) and i would say you should check Alentejo (coast if you want sun and sea) countryside if you prefer gastronomy, wine, history and want some peace and tranquility. It's one of the most unspoilt European region. You can start checking for èvora.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Portugal (porto and the north are also beautiful..and different) .

The curious in Portugal is that is so a small country, but with so many different region in terms of landscape, food, etc.

Have you search for Portugal island...Madeira and Azores!? Do it, if you like green tourism (and sea life is amazing in Azores)...

Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 Day Trip to Portugal - where to go!

I just noticed your post re your proposed trip to Portugal. Don't miss out Cascais - its great and worth a trip alone for the Paula Rego Museum - fantastic exhibition there in a beautiful purpose built building. The town itself is great too, friendly people and buzzy. We based ourselves in Lagos for a week and drove to Lisbon for an overnight - we should have planned a longer visit.. We stayed in Cascais and got public transport into Lisbon and got a very brief flavour of the city. Definitely going back.