We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

London,England
7 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

Hi,

I am arriving in Lisbon Airport at 19.30hrs in October and intend to hire a car and drive to Cascais.

I've read that driving is not recommended but having checked the route, I do not see that there any problems.

Am I missing something ?

Has anyone made this same trip by car and experienced any problems.

Also are there any high bridges to negotiate as I suffer a bit from vertigo.

Many thanks.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,901 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

You shouldn't have too much of a problem at 1930 at night. It's a motorway almost all the way. During the day and rush hours especially it is manic.

Take care, follow the signs and ignore if you can the appalling driving habits of the locals.

London,England
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

Hi,

Many thanks for your quick response.

Cheers

Malveira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos, Mafra
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

Hopefully, you will miss the tail-end of the Lisbon evening rush hour which can be manic.

I have driven in many cities around the world, and all around Portugal, in horrible traffic conditions, but the A5 Lisbon to Cascais is one of those urban motorways I always avoid as it is a racetrack complete with lunatic drivers!!

If there are evening traffic jams or breakdowns blocking traffic, allow at least 90 minutes from the airport to Cascais.

Also be aware that road signs indicating of off-ramps on hte ring-road suddenly pop-up out the blue. If you are taking the 2º Circular (E01) to connect with A5, make sure, what ever you do, that if you miss the off-ramp for the A5, you do not miss the next off-ramp for Alcantara. If you do, you will end up over the toll bridge on the south side of the Tagus.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

Just a correction to the previous post, the 2ªcircular does not take you to the bridge, you would have to be on the "Eixo Norte-Sul". What you have to do is take the 2ª circular direction "Sintra" until you see the Benfica stadium on your left. Then keep an eye to the exit to "Cascais, CRIL" which is just after a right curve. You get in the CRIL road where the exit to the A5-Cascais is well indicated. It is easier than it sounds and should not take more than 45 min.

The previous posters said it all about driving. Be aware however that many foreign drivers never experienced any problem while in Portugal, and that driving is not that different from elsewhere in southern europe.

London,England
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

Hi,

Many thanks for your advice.

I just hope that it's not worse than the infamous M25 around London - I can handle that !

London,England
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

Hi,

Thank you for the correction - I know you can go both ways and I did intend to take the Benfica route.

Cheers.

7. Re: Driving to Cascais from Lisbon Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2011, 06:30