We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning 14 days trip to Portugal in early May 2011. I am struggling with the itinerary and need your help. We would like to visit Algarve, Lisbon, Porto and for a few days Palma de Majorca. I am considering 2 options:

1. Fly to Madrid and drive from there to Portugal. We have been to Spain before, but we travel south and have not been north of Madrid. Fly back from Lisbon.

2. Fly in and out of Lisbon – not sure what be the best itinerary. In this case we will not be traveling to northern Spain.

Thank you very much for you help and advice.

Maria

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

The key to your travel plans will be how and when to get to Palma de Maiorca. You will find it dificult to combine this with your visit to Portugal, not only because it is far away, but because there are not great connections between Portuguese cities and this Spanish island. If you're looking for a few days relaxing in an island you should consider Madeira or Açores, much more accessible from Lisbon or Porto.

Taking the above considerations, I would forget completely about Madrid. The trip alone between Madrid and Lisbon, nonstop, will take you 5 to 6 hours drive. If you go sightseeing in the middle that's a couple of days less, which will leave you very little time in Portugal. You will need at least 3 days in Lisbon and 2 in Porto. I would fly in and out of Lisbon, with side trips to the north (Porto) and south (Algarve). North trip will allow you to visit lots of cultural, monumental, gastronomy and wine country territory, while the south trip would be mostly for beaches, even though there are lots of great places to visit besides the beaches.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thank you very much. I will follow your advice fly directly to Lison. I checked some information about Madeira and I think I will skip it. What about Canary Island at the end of the trip for a few days? When we went to Spain 10 years ago, we stayed in Puerto Banus in Marbella and it was a great break after driving every other day. I am looking for something like that before we fly back to US. Nice beach, resort type atmosphere. Going to Algarve would be a nice option instead of the islands and we don’t have fly. But there are mixed reviews on the forum about that area and I am not sure where to stay if we go there. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

3. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 06:17