We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electronic Tolls - The latest

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Electronic Tolls - The latest

The saga about payment of electronic motorway tolls by tourists visiting Portugal has now reached the national press.

An article in the national daily, "Publico" today has brought to prominence the problems faced by foreigners/tourists visiting Portugal and who have used one of the three motorways in the North that are already equipped with this system.

The full article (in Portuguese) can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/32ve7so

Here is a link to a Google Translate version of the article:

http://j.mp/atHmUm

Its not a great translation but readable.

In essence, if changes are not made soon, it is probably advisable that tourists planning to visit Portugal by car, or use a hire car while here do the following:

1) Avoid all motorways in Portugal equipped with electronic tolls!

2) Avoid using hire cars as you might get pulled over by the Police because a previous renter will have used the electronic tolls and not paid the fee.

3) Use public transport. (The best option!)

4) Avoid visiting Portugal, until this mess about paying tolls is sorted.

Hopefully, once the Government, Brussels and the IMF realise that the revenue they hoped to gain from such tolls is not being generated because traffic flows are right down and, in the case of the Algarve, there has been a drop of 40-50% in tourist traffic from Spain, they will sort things out and, at least make it easy for foreign visitors to pay the tolls.

Edited: 16 November 2010, 08:38
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

Here's an extra help and peace of mind for those planning to come to Portugal by car. The main highways where this problem exists (for foreigners, this is not an exaustive list and does not include for instance highways around Porto, which some TA expert can help better than me):

The A28 coming from Valença (with connections to Vigo, Santiago and elsewhere in northern Spain) to Porto;

The A25 from the border in Vilar Formoso (connecting to Salamanca) and Aveiro

Next year it is intended to be applied on the following:

A24 from Chaves (connecting to Ourense and Zamora) to Viseu;

A23 from Guarda (connecting to A25 that connects to Salamanca) to Torres Novas (direction Lisbon);

A22, the "Via do Infante" of the Algarve, connecting to Sevilla.

Highways NOT afected by this problem:

A1 Lisbon to Porto

A2 Lisbon to the Algarve

A3 Porto to Valença (via Braga, connecting to northern Spain)

A4 Porto to Amarante

A5 Lisbon to Cascais

A6 Lisbon to Elvas (via Évora, connecting to Madrid)

A7 Vila do Conde (Porto) to Vila Pouca de Aguiar

A8 Lisbon to Leiria (via Óbidos)

A9 Lisbon circular CREL

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

Very useful post, vespucio!

However, it will not help the thousands of visitors driving into Portugal who do not read Tripadvisor forums or search the web before they arrive.

Do you mind if I cope your post to my blog for wider publication?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

Unfortunetly you're very right about the general lack of information. Feel free to post this on your blog.

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

Thanks!

I've published it to the web via Amplify.com, my blog ( See: http://j.mp/dCl4tJ ), and twitter.com

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

Just a correction: Only on the Aveiro side are tolls already being charged in the A25. Here's a link to current tolls and charges in these highways (in portuguese):

…sapo.pt/public/…Taxas_novas_portagens.pdf

Aljezu
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

How much will it cost to travel the A22 from Lagos to Faro on the A22 when the tolls are introduced? class a vehicle?

Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

No one knows yet!

Anyway, there was an announcement to night that the tolls will not be introduced on April 15th as planned as the caretaker government here in Portugal does not have the full legal statue to implement them.

See: http://goo.gl/wwswT (in Portuguese)

It will probably be at least another two months before they are introduced.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 23:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

I travelled from Faro to Junction 2 on the A22 (Luz) last week and the Toll was 6 Euros 90 Cents - although, of course, coming back I was unable to pay because the toll isn't registered for 48 hours and by then I was back home.

Have emailed CTT in Portugal (who collect payments) asking how I can pay. They did reply but weren't able to suggest how I could pay

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
44,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

If it was a hire car the rental company will get the bill so best contact them.

10. Re: Electronic Tolls - The latest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:41