We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

I'm from Macao and I've been reading about Portugal. It really looks like Macao (maybe too much) and I want to avoid places that look like Macao.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

Hi have never been to Macao, so what I say is only based on what others tell me or images I see, but as far as I know, you will not recognize Macao anywhere in Portugal. You will recognize some cultural, architectural or other features, but overall they are very different. But I am sure someone else will be able to provide a better comparison.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
18,827 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

Never been to Macau but find it very hard to believe that our presence there made it equal to Portugal, didn't do it in all the other places where we've been.

You'll find here churchs/monasteries that resemble the ruins of São Paulo, but you'll find it also all over europe, it was the style back then.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

None. It was Portugal who administrated Macau and not the oposite. So the only possibility would be that Macau looked like Portugal.

Never been there but from pics and films I really don't believe Macau looks much like Portugal apart from an ocasional Portuguese church or monument left there.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 13:44
Costa Adeje, Spain
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

In Portugal mainland we have a lit bit more space than the 16km2 of Macau,so we didºnt have to built so many high blocks and in some areas of the country we still can drive miles and miles without seing a single human being.

Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

Thanks a lot for the comments. I was worried about that because of what my friends in Macao told me after they went to Portugal (not saying they're that similar but I was told they didn't find it very special there as it looked familiar). Anyway after reading more I believe I won't be bored there. Thanks!

Level Contributor
208 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

Yep, you're right. I only phrased it in that way as I haven't been to Portugal and it'll be a new experience for me in comparison.

7. Re: Which parts of Portugal look most like Macao?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2012, 07:31