We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a Place to Relax

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for a Place to Relax

In mid September we are stopping in Lisbon from Johannesburg on our way home from Safari in Zambia. We would like to spend 2 or 3 easy paced days in Lisbon, maybe with a day trip to Sintra. In Lisbon we may do a little sight seeing, but mostly enjoy the people and flavors of the city. My wife enjoys Port Wine, but we do not want to travel to Porto. We would like to then spend 3-4 days of down time somewhere with easy access to & from Lisbon., before flying home to the USA from Lisbon. We are looking for a small village atmosphere with a beach. We don't want to snorkel or dive, just chill. We have looked at Nazare and Sesimbra. Are there other villages we should be looking at? We have stayed in Zimmers, Zites and Agratourismos and are therefore looking at Quartos. We are looking for ideas and suggestions for our first visit to Portugal. Thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,646 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a Place to Relax

Cascais/Estoril is the easiest in what it concerns access to Lisboa (good, easy, cheap and frequent train connections).

At Lisboa you have the "Solar do Vinho do Porto" where you can tast Port wine, it's located at Bairro Alto at the top of "Elevador da Glória" www.ivdp.pt/pagina.asp…

Nazaré is too far, Sesimbra it's ok if you don't want to travel everiday to Lisboa.

Try also the words "Pensão" and "Residencial" if you are looking for cheaper accomodation, you have the IBIS hotels chain that it's not expensive.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a Place to Relax

I Think Cascais will be the perfect place for you. Close to Lisbon and also to Sintra. You can go to both places and return to your hotel in the same day.

It has a beautiful cost view, beaches and a charm of a 19th century village.

From there you can go by trainor taxi to Lisbon and by bus to Sintra. To give an idea, by taxi its about 45€ acar and by train its about 2.5€ per person.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a Place to Relax

Hello,

One more vote to Cascais. I think is exactly what you are looking for!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,016 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a Place to Relax

Thank everyone for their comments. I may have not been clear. We will stay in Lisbon for 2-3 nights accomodation. We then want to spend 3-4 nights accomodation at a small village with a beach close by. Cascais looks beautiful but looks more like a cosmopolitan city rather than a small village. Are Sesimba and Nazare larger than they appear? Are there smaller villages close by to one of these cities? We do not mind taking an hour or two to get to a village atmosphere and then returning to Lisbon for our flight home. We really want to experience the small village life with a beach, if that is possible? Thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,646 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a Place to Relax

In that case I would suggest S. Martinho do Porto.

6. Re: Looking for a Place to Relax

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 03:18