We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go for a relaxed surfy type holiday

melbourne
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to go for a relaxed surfy type holiday

Hi I am looking to go on a weeks holiday in Southern Portugal with my boyfriend. We are both looking for a chilled surfy type holiday with somewhere with nice restuarants and a bit of nightlife but not the full on touristy places like Albeifera ( I think thats the touristy bit??). Any suggestions?? I have been looking at Lago but maybe just outside of there?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go for a relaxed surfy type holiday

The best surfing is, apparently, on the west coast around Carrapateira and Bordeira. But it is a very isolated area.

At this time of year the waves along the south coast including Lagos are usually miniscule.

Sagres might be the answer, a bit further out west sticking out into the ocean. Car almost essential there, definitely essential in the remainder of that region.

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
3,240 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go for a relaxed surfy type holiday

I go along with Cubsur. If you Google surfing in the Algarve or West Coast Algarve, you will come up with various websites and more info very specifically about this.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
80 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go for a relaxed surfy type holiday

Carrapateira does have lot's of surfer's, and it is really chilled out, but as Cubsur said, it could be too chilled out, only about four restaurants and a few bar's, and you would need transport.

Sagres would probably be your best option, you can get there by bus from Lagos, I think around six buses per day. It is also popular with surfer's as it has a couple of west facing beaches, therefore much bigger waves, also not bad for nightlife, quite a few bar's and restaurant's, normally quite a few of the younger generation hanging around there.

4. Re: Where to go for a relaxed surfy type holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 11:20