We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

My wife and I want to do a 3-4 day stopover in the Lisbon area on our way home in late September on a budget to get our first taste of Portugal. After being on a hectic schedule in Africa, we wish to relax in a small beachside/seaside village within 2 hours transport of Lisbon that runs frequently at a reasonable cost. Nazare with it's atmosphere and inexpensive accomodation choices , especially the B & Bs and Quartos, is exactly what we desire, but the bus schedule is limited after our flight arrives at 11:30am on a Weds and a taxi is very expensive. Our second choice is Sesimbra which has shorter and more frequent bus departures, however I see very few B & B/Quartos choices in TA or Lonely Planet. Please advise if I am missing a better resource for finding B & B/Quartos/Small Hotels or recommend a few places in Sesimbra. Also please advise if there Is another village or small city that we should look into that match our criteria. Thank you.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

Not sure if Ericeira, nearby Lisbon is a choice for you?

I believe in terms of distance it's ok, there is a Bus daily from Colegio Militar at 13:45 to Ericeira, if you lost this bus you can always go to Mafra and from there to Ericeira.

Not sure about accommodations.

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

There are several buses a day form Lisbon (Campo Grande terminal) to Ericeira:

mafrense.pt/downloads/2011/ericeira-lisboa_i…

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

I am having trouble reading the bus schedule, but it appears that buses run almost hourly between Lisbon and Ericeira during the week and take about 75 mintes to arrive. I can not see the Saturday and Sunday return schedules to Lisbon. From what little I can find to read about Ericeira this town may be of interest to us. Can someone tell us more. Are there small cafes and shops down narrow streets in the old section of town? Are there many Guesthouse or Quartos choices? How would this town compare to Sesimbra or Nazare? Transport appears to be better than to those towns. Thank you.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 15:18
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

By the way, another alternative, also closer to Lisbon, is Praia das Maças and/or Praia Grande.

Regarding Ericeira, on the old town centre there are lot of shops, restaurants, and probably bars (not my kind of waters...) Regarding accommodation, sorry, the only thing I know is the Hotel Vila Gale, but never been there, as Ericeira for me is like a day trip: http://www.vilagale.pt/pages/hoteis/?hotel=10

Search on google for B&B Ericeira, and some result appear.

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

The buses run daily, except the ones flagged with B, that runs only not on school days. The travel time varies, depending on the localities they stop.

Ericeira is a beautiful small seaside town and you won't have problems finding cafés, shops and guesthouses or rooms (quartos), The transport offer is good and better than for Nazaré. Don't know for Sesimbra but I believe it's better too.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

Thank you vfelix, What are the transport options from Ericeira to Sintra and return for a day trip? How would you compare Ericeira to Sesimbra?

Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

Just to clarify what I meant to say above: I believe that the transports to Ericeira are better than for Nazaré and Sesimbra. Besides that, Ericeira is closer to Sintra, Mafra and Cascais (other interesting towns).

Timetables for direct buses from Ericeira to Sintra (Sintra is showed here as Portela):

mafrense.pt/XlsHtml/ericeira-portela_sintra.…

Legend:

A - Monday to Friday except holidays

B - School days

C - Non school days

D - Saturdays, Sundays and holidays

I think Ericeira and Sesimbra are similar but I went only once at Sesimbra and it was a long time ago.

Edited: 27 November 2011, 18:38
8. Re: Need Small Beachside/Seaside Village-City Suggestions Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 00:42