We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

I understand that on certain motorways in Portugal, probably extending to include all motorways, if you have an foreign registered vehicle, the only way of paying the toll is by obtaining a DEM at a cost of 27 euros (redeemable on return) and by preloading it with a minimum of 10 euros. What happens when this amount runs out. Are further tolls charged to a linked credit card or is it necessary to anticipate the costs and preload this amount, or do you get charged the extra on return of the DEM? Is there another possibility I have overlooked? I will be driving a private French registered vehicle, traveling around 1500km on motorways over 6 days.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
45,555 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

So far as I understand, your credit card account will be debited when the first pre-payment is used.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

Thanks cubsur, it all sounds a bit confusing.

I read an advisory on the UK AA website that since 15 Oct 2010, the A4, A17, A25, A28, A29, A41 and A42 would require the use of Temporary Electronic Toll Devices but now that the A22 is being included, there are a number of questions being asked without too many answers. I would have thought that the process would have been well understood after 12 months on other motorways. I've also read on the estradas.pt site that the payment method is by debiting a bank account (no mention of credit card) but on the viaverde.pt site it refers to credit card.

I also read that an online registration option is available that simply links a registration number to a bank account but I guess that is just for locals.

These cashless toll roads are never thought through with the visitor in mind.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

A4, A17, A28, A29, A41, A42, A22, A23, A24 and A25 are the ones with only electronic tolls.

All the others have also the payment by credit/debit card and cash and will maintain it because they always where build to be a toll highways so they the necessary toll booths.The ones mentioned above were built to be free highways that's why the quickest and cheapest way to be collect tolls is the electronic.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

hi 64novpt

That makes sense. It's just the inability of the system to support going on line and linking a foreign registration to a credit/debit card, although it would appear that that is available for Portuguese registration. They must be able to read the foreign registration without a problem, because they issue infringement notices. It all just seems a bit inconvenient to find somewhere that supplies the DEM before getting to the Portuguese motorway system and handing it back for the refund after leaving the motorway system.

Also, do all of the toll roads support electronic tolls, even those with toll booths? Traveling from Salamanca to Porto it looks like the A25, A29, A1, A20 a mixture of electronic tolls and cash. So, will the electronic DEM work on the A1 and A20 or have they not installed sensors yet?

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
16,645 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

Yes, the sistem is far from perfect...

The electronic payment will work on all kind of electronic tolls (the new and old ones called Via Verde). You can go online to buy a pre-paid arrangement for foreign registration cars valid for 3 or 5 days at the post office (CTT) web site, those don´t need a device and are linked to a credit card.

There are border points of sale for these pre-paid arrangements, one it's at Vilar Formoso border where you enter from Salamanca.

http://www.estradas.pt/portagensestrangeiros

Unfortunately only in portuguese, but if you want a complete map and details about all kind of highways and tolling sistems in Portugal go to estradasdeportugal.pt/index.php/… and download the pdf "Apresentação novas portagens"

Hope that it helps to plan your stay here

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

Thanks 64novpt

I'm getting a better understanding of it now. Every little bit of info helps. I'm in Portugal for 6 days so I'm planning on picking up a tag at Vilar Formoso and dropping it off at Vila Real de Santo António en route to Seville. Unless of course, the system changes.

I did have a look at the estradas.pt web site and noted that I should be able to purchase 3 days flat rate tolls up to 6 time per year at the ctt.pt web site using a credit card. I checked out ctt.pt and found that the EN language portion is under construction but the Chrome browser translator worked OK. I still couldn't find any reference to paying for tolls so I guess that hasn't been implemented yet.

Thanks for your help. I would have been totally lost without it and would have set the gps to avoid motorways.

7. Re: Temporary Electronic Toll Tags

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2012, 10:16