We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Topic
Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

We live in the US and will be traveling to Lisbon for 5 days for a corporate event in May at the Penha Longa Hotel. We have never been to Europe before and would like to add a few days before or after our stay in Lisbon and go somewhere that makes sense without alot of travel hassle. We both prefer relaxing by the beach/pool versus viewing old architecture. I am thinking Barcelona might be good, or somewhere else in Spain, or just explore other regions of Portugal. I look forward to your input. Thanks!

Special Offer
Douro Valley Small-Group Tour with...
735 reviews
from US$89.70*
US$112.10
Best Seller
Sintra and Cascais Small-Group Day...
1,017 reviews
from US$81.00*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
282 reviews
from US$145.80*
US$162.00
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
21,107 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

Penha Longa Hotel it's not in Lisboa, it's in the middle of a golf course 35 kms away from Lisboa. So you'll see Lisboa only if your event gives you enough free time to take a 40min one way drive to Lisboa (without traffic jam). You'll be 9km away from Sintra and 12km away from Cascais. If you want to know Lisboa, you'll have to stay in the city after the event, but if just scratching the surface it's enough than you can take a plane and go somewhere else.

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

If you prefer beaches/pool versus architecture and don't want travel hassle, don't go to Spain and definitly don't go to Barcelona! Here's why: Barcelona's strength is in its culture, not its coast line. The coastline south of Barcelona is massively built and not really very nice, whereas the northern coast is far better, very beautiful and good for what you want. But... you'll need to take a plane to Barcelona and then make your way up there, either by bus or renting a car. It is worth visiting it, but does not make sense if your trip is to Lisbon.

On the other hand, nearby Lisbon you've got beaches and coastline for all sorts of tast... my recomendation is somewhere in Cascais/Estoril, which is very close from Penha Longa and has lots of options for Hotels, restaurants, etc. You'll need no car here. But, you you don't mind renting a car, I would travel about 2 hours south and get to the southwestern coast of the country: while the options are fewer, hotels tend to be really good and cottage like (no big buildings) and the coastline is really beautiful. In May you can have a beach for yourself.

If you still want more options you have the western coast of Lisbon (Ericeira and around) with beautiful coastline but chilly sea and tendency for wind, the Caparica coastline (basically one huge beach, over 30 Km long), few infrastructures around, and the coastline west of Setúbal (tiny beaches surrounded by Arrábida mountains, great for diving).

Hope this helps

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

thanks for your reply..if you we me, where should i go either spain or stay in portugal for some rest and nice beaches??

Cleveland, Ohio
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

The idea of traveling 2 hours south intrigues me to Cascais/Estoril. a couple of questions though. is it east for a foreigner to drive there in a rental car?? also, what hotel/resort would you recommend in that area and what temperature can we expect to see in may in that region?? thanks in advance for your reply..

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

It is very easy for a foreigner to drive in Portugal, even though you'll get mixed revues about this. But it is not really different from driving in Spain or France for instance. Renting a car is straight forward, just make sure to do it in advance if you need an automatic one, as they are uncommon around here.

Temperatures in May should be somewhere between middle 20s and middle 30s (ºC). I personally never stayed in a hotel/resort in Cascais/Estoril, but apparently Hotel Albatroz gets good reviews and is in a fantastic location. Maybe someone else can give you more ideas on this.

6. Re: Other areas/countries to visit on trip to Portugal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:42