We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

2 posts
Save Topic
Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

We would like to travel to the algarve with our 6 yr old daughter who is a wheelchair user. Can anyone recommend a good family hotel that is wheelchair friendly!

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
48,921 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

It's difficult for me to recommend a specific hotel but the resorts that seem to me to present the least difficulty for wheelchair users are anywhere east of Tavira eg Cabanas, Altura, Manta Rota and Monte Gordo plus Armacao de Pera, perhaps Praia da Rocha (although only end of the beach has step-free access) and Meia Praia near Lagos. Some parts of Alvor would not do, but there are resort developments away from the original town that might.

Much of the Algarve is very hilly and several of the major resorts eg Albufeira are built on hills. Also, the streets are very narrow in the old parts of town near the beaches etc and the pavements often horribly uneven which makes getting around extremely difficult for some.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

Although I cannot recommed a hotel, Vilamoura is wheelchair friendly as I see many in resort when I visit

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
19,403 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

At this site http://portugalacessivel.com/en/ you can search by location at the accessible places map. It's a start.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,174 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

The above mentioned link indeed is a good reference.

Both Quarteira and Vilamoura are quite flat. Quarteira has a long promenade going along the beach and has Dom Jose hotel right on the front. It has good facilities. I've seen the rooms and the bathrooms are accessible by wheelchair.

Vilamoura is very wheelchair friendly. Lots of ramps. You could check out the Vila Gale Ampalus hotel. I haven't seen the rooms though.

If you use the 'portugalacessivel.com' website, you have to choose for Loule in order to find Quarteira and Vilamoura.

Hope this helps.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

well I am staying in the dom jose hotel quarteria in a couple of weeks and I am a wheelchair user now after suffering a stroke 3 years ago aged 45 ! after reading the reviews I got mixed messages, mainly very good. The promenade looks fantastic for wheelchair users ,I will let you know my honest opinion when I get back

JOANNE:)

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

I think each hotel with a lift is suitable for a wheelchair. I think what important is a flat place of town.

I think armaçao de pera a good place is. hotel Holiday inn is at the beach.

7. Re: Resorts in the algarve suitable for wheelchairs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 05:17