We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toll Roads and Rental Cars

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
156 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Toll Roads and Rental Cars

I know there has been discussion on this forum in the past about this issue, but don't know if anything has changed recently or how people deal with it.

We're planning on renting a car in Lisbon for a 4-5 day loop around Southern Portugal, returning the car to the Lisbon airport before our flight home.

How do toll roads work? I saw the issues with the automated system in the South (A22) highways. Has that been addressed for rental cars? Is the same issue present on other highways in the country?

Thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

Tell your rental company that you want a transponder in the car (you'll have to pay a fee). Regarding which highways have exclusive electronic tolls look at this site portugaltolls.pt/en/…home

The exclusive electronic toll locations are mainly in the center and north of the country "Beira Interior, Beiras Litoral e Alta, Costa de Prata, Grande Porto, Interior Norte, Litoral Oeste, Norte Litoral, Pinhal Interior and Transmontana". In the south it's Algarve and Baixo Tejo (this one located close to Lisboa, but very easy to avoid).

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
156 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

I'm not so worried about having the pay the tolls. Just want to make it as easy as possible and avoid any fines or charges later on. Will car rental agencies at the Lisbon International Airport have transponders available for their cars?

Thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

It's better if you ask for one when renting the car, that way you'll be on the safe side.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

I too was willing to pay the tolls, but I rented with a company in Porto which had no transponders (October 2012). It is almost impossible to leave the Porto airport without going on at least some of the automated roads. The woman at the agency told me not to worry, but I did, as I didn't want to get slapped with fines later. When I returned the car, my entire deposit was returned and I never heard another word.

I think the experience might be different if you live in the EU, where they might be able to take recourse, but I'm not sure someone from outside the EU needs to worry as much. I can't imagine how the rental agency doesn't get slapped with any tolls that I accumulated (not many, but some).

5. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 July 2014, 02:49
Porto
Level Contributor
565 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

NewJerseyCyclist, it is possible and easy to go from the airport to the city centre without paying the tolls. You just have to follow the signs to Porto. Not impossible, but more complicated is if you want to go North or East.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
140 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

vfelix: I assume if one was local and knew the roads well enough, it might be possible to get out of Porto airport without going on the electronic toll roads. Not so easy for a tourist. Besides, my first goal was to get from the airport to the A1 (conventional toll booths) going north. Then, later on in my stay I had to spend some time on the A24 and A25, which I recall were electronic tolls. So, while I tried to stick to the roads with manned toll booths, sometimes it was hard to avoid the new style roads.

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
156 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

I'm not really concerned about avoiding the toll roads. Given time constraints and generally not knowing my way around, I'd just assume be able to use the highways, particuarly heading from Lisbon to the South.

The general consensus seems to be that most of the major rental car agencies at the Lisbon International Airport (Avis, Hertz, etc) would have an option for a transponder device to deal with the tolls?

9. Re: Toll Roads and Rental Cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:17