We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, por favor

Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Help, por favor

We will be staying at the Torre Verde-Tres Castelos in November, 2006. We are coming to Portugal after a week in Malaga,Spain. Is there a train we can take from Malaga to Portimao? How do you recommend we travel to Portugal? Do we need an international driver's license to rent a car in Portugal? Do we really need a car, or can we get around just as well by train? How much do the trains cost (there's 6 of us - 4 adults & 2 children)? We thought we would fly out of Lisbon to get home. One flight we found leaves 8:45 am from Lisbon - is there going to be a problem getting from Portimao to Lisbon that early on a Sunday?

I appreciate any help. We're first-time europe travelers and we are trying to avoid a costly mistake! Thanks, Linda

Douro Valley Wine Tasting Tour...
783 Reviews
from US$112.50*
Sintra and Cascais Tour from Lisbon
1,045 Reviews
from US$93.80*
Special Offer
Lisbon Super Saver: 2-Day Sintra...
288 Reviews
from US$168.80*
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, por favor

Hi linderduke...can't waiT to hear anyone else who has info on this. Our family was in Malaga/Marbella and travelling to Portugal. We tried several ways to get to POrtugal, train, bus, car, and eventually took a taxi!!! actually 2 o f them!! We drove to Huelva?? hope I got the spelling right), then took 2 taxi's (for 5 of us) at a cost of $318 euro in total. Pretty expensive, but cheaper than the car drop fee. Our delimma was we wanted to take our rental car across to Portugal and drop there as we were flying from Faro back to Paris. The rental company wanted something like 600euro to drop the car! We checked out taking a bus, which was an option, but because of our time schedule would not work for us this time. The train was a long long way around, and for us, again because of our time, not an option , but worth checking out I am sure as you would be able to see some of the countryside. I would really recommend renting a car and driving as long as you do not plan to drop the car in Portugal. There was no actual border where we crossed, just a sign saying we were now in Portugal. The highways are great and it was very easy to drive in both Spain and Portugal. As for the international drivers license, if you go to your car insurance dealer and get car rental insurance, that is all that is required as far as I know. We had nothing else other than our regular drivers license.

Anyway, check out the bus. It seemed pretty reasonable. I'd recommend renting a car once you get to portugal and driving around. It is beautiful and so many small towns to see, beautiful beaches and fountains, etc. Loved it and plan to be back there soon!. Hope I have been of some help! Best of luck!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
366 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, por favor

Wobe almost explained everything you need to know about going from Malaga to Portimao. Can't help much because I live here and have a car...

Regarding tour trip from Portimao to Lisbon, on Sunday is not doable unless you start your journey at 4am... It's around a 3 hour ride by car all on highway and not exceding the speed limit...

You can try to depart from Faro (nearby to Portimao) to another major european city and from there going back home.

Another choice it would be going to Lisbon on Saturday first on the morning, do some sight seeing on the hop-on hop-off bus and leave on Sunda Morning. Lisbon's Airport is around 15 minutes from town center and on Sunday there is no heavy traffic jams.

Hope i've helped. :-)

3. Re: Help, por favor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 19:15