We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Was hoping that someone could advise us about the train trip from lisbon to porto and if it is "scenic'?

Also if we wanted to stop in obidos, is it possible to store your luggage at the train station and visit the town and castle? Then continue on to porto?

1. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 14:18
Edited: 22 April 2013, 14:18
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Óbidos is not on the Lisbon to Porto rail route. The station there is a tiny place and certainly there is no luggage storage.

There is a means of travelling between Lisbon and Porto via Óbidos but it a very, very, slow, involves several changes of train and may even need an overnight stop as there are very few trains on part of that line.

I suggest you take a look at this rail map of Portugal.

www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/…mapa_servicos.pdf

Then consult timetables at

Main line Lisbon to Porto

www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/…ap_ic.pdf

Lisbon - Òbidos - Coimbra (for connection to Porto)

cp.pt/StaticFiles/…lisboa_fig_da_foz.pdf

The main route between Lisbon and Porto is fairly scenic once you get out of Lisbon.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 14:19
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Dear cubsur, thanks very much for your detailed reply. I always appreciate the information from this forum. So seems unfortuneately it is not as straight forward as i hoped. we will need to decide whether to either do as a day trip from lisbon or hire a car to drive to porto and stop there as we please or catch the train to porto and dont visit and spend the time seeing places in northern portugal.....regards kym

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Obidos is a one hour bus ride from the Campo Grande bus terminal in Lisbon. An easy day trip. I don't know the fare but it won't be more than about 10 Euros one way.

Bus timetable here. rodotejo.pt/media/rapidas/horario_verde.pdf

Rodotejo buses leave from a part of the terminal next to the metro station in front of a tall apartment block. (It's a big bus station, outdoors, and on my visits I have never seen a map or plan telling you which of the dozens of different buses leaves from where.)

The bus terminal of Campo Grande is on the northern outskirts of Lisbon next to the metro station of the same name.

Edited: 22 April 2013, 23:37
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

I wouldnt call it scenic since a few years ago the only bit that went by the sea near Espinho went underground. Its not ugly either.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

In two words "Not particularly!" It is extremely fast though if you take the alfa pendula. Quite an experience I thought. One thing that did annoy me was that the windows are large and two seats back to back share the same window. The people in front lowered the blind to block the sun shining in. I raised it as I wanted to see out. It was not possible to move to another seat as the seats are reserved. So I suggest you sit on the right side going north to see the scenery and won't have the afternoon sun shining in on you. But it isn't spectacular, just Portugal inland.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

I agree. The right hand, going north, is better being out of the sun and for a good while there are some pleasant views across the river Tejo. By general European high speed standards the Alfa Pendular is not particularly fast, so you can still catch the view. Although some sections of line were straightened out and rebuilt a few years back, the money ran out and there are still some short stretches with a 50kph speed limit. Maximum speed is 220kph.

It's 2hrs 44 minutes for 337km, an average of 123kph (76mph) if my calculator is correct. To be fair to CP, that's about the average speed for a journey in the UK of similar distance on non-dedicated tracks with a few stops thrown in, eg London to Preston or Wigan to Glasgow.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,549 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Disagree that the money run out. The problem is that after a bundle of money (300 million euros) spent on modernising the line some bits were not technically possible to be modernised. So a new line had to be built. Building a new line that was not high speed was unthinkable (well that it was and his the common thought). Since the money for a high speed train does not exist any more due to the current crisis government decided the country will have to make do with the existing line until an high speed one can be built. Anyways the existing line is fast enough and au pair with similar regular european lines.

moraga, ca
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

We are thinking about same train trip Lisbon to Porto ? Is it an interesting scenic trip ?

Edited: 23 April 2013, 05:56
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
49,465 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train from lisbon to porto - is it scenic?

Alface - that's what I meant by the money running out. I recall reading about a scheme to build a 'bypass' around Santarem, which is one of the sections with a very low speed restriction as it has a road crossing next to the station which, last time I passed through, was guarded by an old lady with a flag. Can't have trains passing through at even120kph in that situation.

But, as you say, there was no funding available. And you are right, the current average speed is comparable with trains in other European countries (like the UK) where there is either no space, no money or popular opposition to building new railway lines.

The Lisbon - Porto train ride is not particularly interesting, but there are some fairly undemanding views over the countryside most of the way. Certainly better, in my mind, than sitting for 4 hours on a bus looking at highway traffic.

(Note that money was found to build two highways between Lisbon and Porto. That's the priority. Don't need railways.)